Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Ie7 Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ovnthf

ovnthf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

I have a new laptop, running Vista Home Premium

Until a week ago, everything was working fine, but suddenly I got the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
I cannot access ANY webpage.

I can ping webpages, and get a response, so I'm connected to the internet.
I removed the update KB 937143 (a suggestion I read on this site)
I have run all the diagnostic tests Microsoft suggests on their website but nothing seems to be wrong.

Does anybody have a suggestion what else I can try to fix this....??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

Try it, it's wierd you can ping web pages, but can't display them. Maybe you have a firewall that is blocking your IE to the internet, but not your conenction. Make sure you have the firewall correctly set for this.

I will go to "Internet Options" and in the "General" tab will choose to delet all Temporary files, then go to the programs tab and go to the "Manage Addons" tab and look for any suspicious "ActiveX" in it. Maybe you got a wierd "ActiveX" in the way and it's giving conflict. Now to to the "Advanced" tab and "Restore Advanced Settings", and "Reset".

Now if this dosen't work I would Download FireFox, that fixed all my problems with Windows....

Mav

#3 ovnthf

ovnthf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, but ..... it still does not work!

I downloaded firefox, but even that gives me a blank page (no error message). So I guess, it is probably not an IE problem.

I have turned off my firewall, but still no change.

There was a java Plug-in 1.6.0 add on but I disabled it......, no change......

I ran a virus scan, and no viruses.

Any other suggestions?

Onno

#4 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:12 AM

Are you running behind a router? if u are, that could be it blking it.

i have a router that sometimes cuts me off the internet, yet i can still ping other computers on my network. Weird, but, hey it happens.

Also, did u install any software recently?

#5 sgt

sgt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

I have the exact same problem and have tried everything I can think of. Nothing works. My sytem ran with no problem for months...until the last Microshi* update. Restoring did not help.

I've searched all over for a solution but have found none.

= sgt =

#6 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:09 PM

That is a strange problem. Have you tried entering the actual ip address of the website you are trying to reach? For example, www.google.com is http://64.233.183.147/
Any chance you could post the contents of your hosts file? You can get to its directory by clicking start, run and typing/pasting %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\ in the textbox.
You can ignore the lines that start with #, they are just comments.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#7 ovnthf

ovnthf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I still have not figured out what the problem was.... WAS, yes, because after a "system restore" everything worked as before! Since the computer is quite new, I reset it to the first restore point, and I only had to reset and re-install a few things.

I have NOT run any Windows updates yet, because I think that might cause the problem. When I have more time, I will install the updates one by one and try to find out which one causes the problem.

Since my hardware setup is still the same (same router, etc), I don't think that's where the problem is.

As soon as I find which windows update causes the problem, I will post it...

Onno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users