Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Federal Judge Strikes Down Part Of Patriot Act

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

NEW YORK -
A federal judge struck down parts of the revised USA Patriot Act on Thursday, saying investigators must have a court's approval before they can order Internet providers to turn over records without telling customers.

Associated Press
By LARRY NEUMEISTER 09.06.07, 11:34 AM ET

U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero said the government orders must be subject to meaningful judicial review and that the recently rewritten Patriot Act "offends the fundamental constitutional principles of checks and balances and separation of powers."

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

WOW, a judge with some common sense.
Renews my faith in the judicial system (just joking :thumbsup:)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DanC1186

DanC1186

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

This is a small step in the right direction. The Patriot Act gives the government the OK to trample the constitution. I think America will show their frustration in 2008 and elect someone who will take a more sensible approach to protecting the nation.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

With comments like the above, I hope this gets moved to the "Speak Easy" forum.

:thumbsup:

haha.

#5 frylock

frylock

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

yes! We must fight the police state!

#6 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:59 AM

Looks like there's some hope for the USA yet. :thumbsup:
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

This is certainly a step in the right direction. We here are fortunate to live under the rule of law and have a Constitution that protects citizens from the abuse of power.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

...have a Constitution that protects citizens from the abuse of power.
John

^ more or less I guess, as I'm still being abused by the local PowerCo here. (giggle)

I'm sure this decision is already deep in various Federal appeals - tho' I've not found another link to such, yet.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:25 PM

What is the point of a government that makes you think it's protecting you if they aren't? If the government claims that they are protecting us from the enemy then who is to protect us from them abusing their power? Hence why we should have a checks and balances system. But since 9/11 it's more like a straight debit card to your freedoms.

#10 eaglehorse

eaglehorse

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

Federal Judge Strikes Down Part Of Patriot Act . At least there is part of our judicial system that has some common sense about the rights and freedoms of the 90% of americans doing the "right thing". I wonder how many spins this country's forefathers have done in their graves at the state of this nation. That is the end of my soapbox.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:39 AM

The link to the article at Forbes.com no longer works, but here's the original article from the Associated Press, by the original author, LARRY NEUMEISTER:
Judge Strikes Down Part of Patriot Act

Edited by tg1911, 28 October 2007 - 10:41 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:10 AM

The Sith and the Dark side have been strong lately, most people are too ignorant to understand the "balance in the force", enabling the "Dark Lord"'s trampling of their freedom in the name of homeland security. Nice to see the Pendulum swing back.
It's kind of interesting that politicians, government officials and the military can commit any crime they want without
significant chance of punishment, maybe if we had made an example of Nixon and thrown him in prison like he deserved
there might be a little more honesty in government "for the people and by the people".
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 williamjohnson

williamjohnson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

the gov. realy should have to get a warrent as free run to do what ever they want will lead to corruption

#14 sarahw

sarahw

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:31 AM

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

#15 Rocco5955

Rocco5955

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

I second that quote!

"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -- President John Sheridan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users