Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Ie On Restricted Account

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_Da frog

Chris_Da frog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:43 AM

Hi, I am new to these forums, and first would like to say this is a really nice website.

Have a question.
My cousin doesn't want her son using IE/FF because of the lack of parental web filters and other controls.
Is there a way to disassociate all webpages from IE and associate them with the AOL browser?
OR, is there a way to customize Trend-micro PC-cillin internet security (2007) to work per user account? ( so that its web filters can be controlled per user, not per computer)

She has XP Home w/Sp2

Also, is there a way to disable the following?
display properties>>desktop>>customize desktop (disable the actual button for that account)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,846 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

I don't have the entire answer, but I do have part of an answer.

The first thing is to make sure the son has a Limited User Account.

IE itself has parental control filters that can be set and password protected; however, the settings are for the computer as a whole and not account specific. Note, however, that if the person who set the filters is on, he/she can disable the filters while working on the computer and then re-enable them when finished. These filters are located under Internet Options --> Content tab in the section Content Advisor.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

Here's another thought, Check to see if Trend Micro has word filters for one as these work great to block particular types of content. It may not have that ability, so you may want to go through the history in IE and block specific websites VIA the Restricted Sites in Internet Options. Also, you may want to use the Certificates controls which validate the web site's authenticity, appropriateness, and general security. IMHO this is relatively easy to accomplish, just search microsoft.com for info about certificates and download the one that seem appropriate.

If there's anything else, please post.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:47 AM

One thing you could do is to change the user access control to prevent access to the iexplore.exe file (for Internet Explorer) and the firefox.exe file (for FireFox). These files are located at here:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Log in as an Admin. Locate the file in Explorer (iexplore.exe or firefox.exe). Right–click the file and click Properties, and then click the Security tab (see below if you cannot see the security tab). Click the name of the user who you want to restrict permissions for. Then check all the boxes in the "Deny" column.

To display the Security tab click Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Folder Options. On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended].
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Chris_Da frog

Chris_Da frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

Thx for the replies!

I will go over these posts with my cousin. most likely the last one will be the solution. (by budapest).
budapest, is this going to affect only his account? or will it disable IE and FF for the whole computer?

randomuser, I think that is how Trend Micro filters content to begin with.

Edited by Chris_Da frog, 07 September 2007 - 11:09 AM.

#6 houze

houze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:26 PM

itll only affect the account or accounts you specify so not the whole computer, no.

#7 Chris_Da frog

Chris_Da frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

oh ok, thats what i was looking for :D thx

#8 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hi Chris_Da frog,

I noticed that you said your cousin is using Windows XP Home Edition.

I'm using Windows XP Professional Edition and there Budpest's advice above does apply ("..., clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended]."), but I don't think you can follow those steps exactly using Windows XP Home Edition. I recalled that Simple File Sharing was always enabled in Windows XP Home Edition. However, I never knew (until just today) that there was a way to get around it (Simple File Sharing in Windows XP Home), but evidently there is when starting Windows in Safe Mode.

Here are two references -- they sound good, but as I say, I'm using XP Pro, so I can't verify them:

1. Even though this page describes folder permissions only, I think the same technique (Safe Mode) also applies to files. This same technique (Safe Mode) is described on the page referenced at 2. below:

http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Simple-File...XP-Home-Edition

2. On the following page, for Windows XP Home, go straight to Section 4 and see "The second way ...":

http://whoozoo.co.uk/winxpFilePerms.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users