Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Argh Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Armadillo19

Armadillo19

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:26 PM

Hello all, this is my first time posting, and I am in trouble...
I accidently downloaded something called ActiveXAccess (I think that's what it was called) because a message came up saying something like I needed to download something dealing with my Windows Media Player. Anyway, big surprise, my computer is acting out like crazy. I downloaded SpyBot which found a whole bunch of small problems, and then found this ActiveX thing, as well as the Zlob virus. I also downloaded StopZilla, which has worked in the past to block popups since one of the symptoms of the virus seems to be many popups to sites that have schemes and offer free stuff...
Along with this, the most annoying thing is that my browser will randomly just crash. I use FireFox (the most recent version) and it has never done this before, but it now is doing it once every couple of minutes. Not only that, but I was getting these fake error messages in the bottom of the screen (where the start button is located), however that seems to have subsided...for now. I am literally computer illiterate so I don't really know what to do to fix this...the problem seemed much worse yesterday and after downloading several anti virus/pop up blockers it is a bit better, but still annoying. As I am typing this, the browser just crashed, luckily the new version of firefox allows you to restart the browser where you were.
PLEASE HELP, I would love to get rid of this stupid thing, and since I'm a poor college student (aren't we all?) I'd love to do it without paying, though if need be I will buy something as a last resort.
Please help me, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Armadillo19, 05 September 2007 - 10:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:11 AM

Hi there and welcome to BleepingComputer.
Try following the self-help guide below to remove the Zlob infection from your computer;
How To Remove The Smitfraud / Generic Zlob / Quicknavigate / Virtual Maid, Self-Help Guide

If this does not solve the Zlob problem:
Please follow our Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting a HijackThis Log; running all of the scans before posting your HijackThis log. Do not post your log here, but instead use our HijackThis Log and Analysis Forum.
After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer except those that are advised by a member of the HijackThis Team; doing so can cause system changes that may not be visible in your log. Please be patient whilst waiting for a response, our HJT Team is currently very busy, and as we try to deal with logs on a "first come first served" basis, you may have to wait a short while.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer!
SuperAntiSpyware has been known to remove zlob trojans

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users