Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode/boot.ini Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nikmark

nikmark

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

My problem is pretty much explained at the bottom of the page from this link under: Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...#force_safemode

As it states, you can use a boot disc to get to the Windows Recovery Console. The problem machine is an e-machine T6544 of which I don't have a boot disc for. I have a Windows XP install/boot disc that was used to install on another machine. My question is: Can I use that disc on the problem machine to boot from to get to the Recovery Console to rename the boot.ini file WITHOUT erasing everything on my hard drive? Someone told me about using a disc called "mini XP" to this. Is that a better option? Thanks for any help possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:44 PM

Hi nikmark. Yes you can, as long as the disc really is an XP Installation disc and not a Restore disc. You do not need to use the registration number to boot off it and start the Recovery Console. At least MS did that right !

#3 nikmark

nikmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

Thanks WinCrazy...that's great news! I'll give it a try in the morning. This site has been very helpful.

#4 nikmark

nikmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:23 AM

OK...when i get to the recovery console, it does not list C:\Windows. All it has is H:\MiniNT and it won't let me rename the boot.ini file. What now?!! Is there a way to rename the boot.ini file?

#5 nikmark

nikmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

I was able to do a check disc and it said there were 1 or more errors...though it didn't say what or where

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:09 AM

Did you use the procedure listed below?

1.Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the local disk that you want to check.

2.Click Properties, and then click Tools.

3.Under Error-checking, click Check Now.

4.Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

5.Click Start.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...tips/kbtip.mspx

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 nikmark

nikmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

check disc was done from the recovery console. I am unable to boot in safe mode or normal mode....can't get to windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users