Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crucial Vs Corsair Vs Geil Ram

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

Hi

Soon to be building a PC I'm trying to decide on RAM. I'm using the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R mobo with support for RAM up to 1066MHz. Having read lots of material from a few websites (particularly CustomPC magazine's website) I've narrowed it down to 3 with the same latency timings. I can't decide between the following:

Crucial Ballistix
  • Highly overclockable but more expensive
Corsair XMS2
  • Some overclockability but only with slower timings, a little cheaper than Ballistix
Geil 2GB
  • Heavily recommended on some other sites, lots of customer reviews, cheapest, OC?
Any advice and guidance on how to proceed is appreciated.

Edited by benny269, 05 September 2007 - 07:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:15 AM

Check the warranties to see if any will allow you to overclock without voiding the warranty (probably not).

Haven't used Geil, but have found Crucial and Corsair to be equally reliable. Haven't overclocked since around 2000, so I'm no help there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:15 AM

I've always been a big fan of Corsair for their reliability, and how they deal with failures. The Ballistix are a bit more of a hit or miss affair, I understand. You might get something that overclocks wonderfully and runs until kingdom come, or you get something that dies in 6 months.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:06 AM

I'm with usasma, have used Crucial Ballistix and had no problems. Corsair have a good reputation too, but never used Gell memory.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users