Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems After A Defrag

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 balniks

balniks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi there,

Little help, i'm having problems after a defrag. When i restarted my comp, it went all oldskool, like back to a lot of original settings. I still had all my things though, so i started readjusting back to my old settings.
Then when i turned on the next day, it changed again. This time, whatever folders (containing various things, mp3's,jpgs,wmv's etc) i had on my desktop, had disappeared. Also my favorite links have been wiped. (i still have everything else i think, including net history...)
I've tried to a system search, which brings up these lost folders, but only as a shortcut, and they are empty. when i click it says: The item referring to this shortcut has been changed or moved... i also tried a system restore from before the defrag, but it says it couldn't do it.

So any idea where i might be able to find these lost goodies or something that may recover them?

Any help appreciated, as i had a lot of pics of travelling and stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

Maybe you can get to safe mode and try last good configuration.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:48 AM

You may have a problem with your hard drive. Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and they should have a diagnostic tool that you can download and use to run a test on the drive.

If the drive checks out okay try running the System File Checker (sfc).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

Hi .

Why You May Not Be Able To Run SFC

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

What program did you use to defragment? It seems odd that not only were the folders moved, but apparently the contents hidden or deleted.

Here's a thought: do a search for a specific file name. If it comes up, then click on "open containing folder". This might lead you to where the files have vanished to. I remember one defrag. program that moved my entire set of documents to a completely different location. I found them by searching for a specific file rather than a folder.

SFC will not work to find lost document folders, but may bring up a contributing factor to the disappearance or moving of those folders.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users