Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silentslinger

silentslinger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:34 PM

While I was deployed(USN) my wife started having problems with our computer. Here are the symptoms:
The computer started just shutting down after running for awhile.
Then it would run as long as McAfee was doing a scan and shutdown a couple of minutes after McAfee was closed. This all was occuring while I was gone.
Now:
Power on- motherboard screen- I can sometimes select setup, other times it just freezes- If I canget into setup I can change anything I want- Once I exit out it trys to go through startup and finishes the post info- then a black srcreen with a cursor appears.

If I need to I can buy/build a new computer. My only worry is if I will be able to use the HDD from this comp or just recover the photos that are on it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jessie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:39 AM

Maybe maybe not. It depends on if the problem is hardware related (could be motherboard, memory or hdd) or software related (driver problem, virus/malware problem). Can't really tell from your decsription.

What OS do you have? Depending on the OS we can try booting into Safe Mode or the
Recovery Console to determine if the computer runs and eliminate a hardware problem. If that works then a reinstallation of the OS might resolve it, again it depends on the OS currently installed.

Post back with a little more detail and we'll see what we can do.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 silentslinger

silentslinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:14 AM

I am running windows 2000 pro.
AMD 700 processor.
Sound Blaster Live
AGP ATI Rage 128 pro
1st Mainboard
120 GB Maxtor (8 months old)
6 GB ? (Gateway OEM 9yrs old)
CDRW
ACER CDrom

The original system was purchased in 96, but everything has been swapped out over the years except the 6 GB HDD. I tried just disconecting that with no joy.

This morning I get the 1st mainboard screen where I should be able to select the setup menu or the post screen, but it will not take my input. I am using a wireless keyboard also. I think I will probably need to get one that I can plug in directly. It was taking inputs from it yesterday, though.

What else might you need?

Jessie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users