Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Win95 Apps On Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanC1186

DanC1186

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

Is there any way to go about running Windows 95 applications on on XP machine. If so, how? I install the program and select in to run in compatibility mode for Windows 95 but it crashes upon the program starting up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

You may want to change the graphics settings as well due to the fact that some older programs have difficulty dealing with 32 bit graphics and a resolution higher than 1024x768. Further, make certain that XP has all of it's updates. Usually, you'll want to disable any firewall when you run updates. Also, upon installation of the older program, it's generally a good rule of thumb to turn off all unnecessary programs and run msconfig to shutdown any services or startup apps that may interfere with installing your old program. Don't fret as you can re-enable those apps and services after the old APP is installed and working. If these don't work, you may be out of luck.

Let me know if further assistance is needed.

#3 DanC1186

DanC1186
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

Thanks RandomUser I'm going to try that. Also is there any kind of software that I could use that would emulate the settings of Windows 95 that I could launch the application in

#4 Mintcom

Mintcom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:01 AM

Is there any way to go about running Windows 95 applications on on XP machine. If so, how? I install the program and select in to run in compatibility mode for Windows 95 but it crashes upon the program starting up

I wanted to do much the same so I installed win98SE on another partition which runs most of the win95 programs I have including dos software.

There was one issue which took me a while to sort and that was the boot menu.
When choosing win98 it still started XP even after spending a lot of time editing the boot.ini file.
This seemed to be because I installed Win98 after XP.

Eventually I discovered that I had to format the partition with xp on it and win98, then install win98 first then Xp.

And all was OK.

I find it very convenient if I want to work on a xp file when I am in Win98. On my computer I found that Win98 doesnt like harddrives over 40gig so I have a lot of partitions which are all under 40gig.

Please note that this particular computer is not connected to the internet so I do not know if it would have any problems if it was.

Edited by Mintcom, 10 September 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:32 AM

Most of the emulating programs are buggy as heck. I found a site that rated a bunch and he wasn't very positive. The best solution would be Mintcom's Just remember to install a bootloader
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:13 PM

How about running Windows 95 in VMWare?

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#7 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:55 PM

I purchased a used emachine desktop that does it and often wondered about it. It has XP Home but runs Office 95. I imagine it was an upgrade as it has updates from before SP1. Guess I should look into it further... Imagine DOS is in the mix there somewhere. If you haven't already check out this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290117
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q290576/
The emachine has a 20G HDD formatted with NTFS and a 1300 MHz Intel Celeron CPU.
It is definitely possible to do it on the NTFS file system, although I know 98 runs on FAT32. FAT32 has some advantages, in speed on small partitions, and write compatibility with a Linux OS. Hope you get it there...
Bug

Edited by Bugballou, 12 September 2007 - 12:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users