Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hardware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mlowry816

mlowry816

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

I don't have enough RAM on my Laptop and would like to double it. How hard is it to add 256 RAM to a Toshiba Laptop? I have added RAM to desktops but I am not a hardware/techy type.

Also I keep having keys fall off this Toshiba. I bought it at Best Buy and even though it's under warranty I don't like to take it in because they take it away and mail it off for weeks. I have done that and had it come back w/o repairs and had to send it in again.

There is a small crack on the edge of the keyboard. Last time I mailed it in Toshiba was supposed to refurbish it but they did not replace the keyboard. How expensive would it be to have the keyboard replaced so I can stop having typing issues??

Thanks for any help/advice!

Marcia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:44 PM

Memory should be no problem. Use Crucial's site and memory selector to get you going. They have tutorials on how to change. This site should give you an idea on your keyboard
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:10 AM

BestBuy does very little work on laptops in the store - they'll send it off to a service center to fix the keys, but that'll take a while as you know. You can take it to a smaller computer shop in your area to get an estimate on the repair/replacement.

Follow garmanma's advice and you can even buy memory from them. It comes with a lifetime warranty, good tech support (to include RMA's) and most importantly, a good set of directions on how to install it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mlowry816

mlowry816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

BestBuy does very little work on laptops in the store - they'll send it off to a service center to fix the keys, but that'll take a while as you know. You can take it to a smaller computer shop in your area to get an estimate on the repair/replacement.

Follow garmanma's advice and you can even buy memory from them. It comes with a lifetime warranty, good tech support (to include RMA's) and most importantly, a good set of directions on how to install it.

Thanks garmanma! In the meantime my son's motherboard blew and possibly his graphics card fan is out...his repair is going to be expensive I fear. Anyway I am going to put aside the laptop for a while so I can afford to work on the other bleeping computer. It sseems I just take turns fixing my family's computer and network while things break...no rest.

I may get back to this soon but both posts were helpful. I found the hardware replacements for the laptop before I decided to wait.

hopefully I can fix this machine too. THANKS SO MUCH! Marcia

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

Graphics card fan is no big deal. Just be sure the motherboard is what's bad An exact replacement will save you time and money. It's really not that big of deal to change it. It starts getting expensive when you start upgrading it
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 11 September 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users