Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Opensource?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zig!

Zig!

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:54 AM

Do you think it would be an advantage to have portions of Vista or future OS's by Microsoft OpenSource? Or would it not matter?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

I think that it would be hard to only have portions of an operating system be open source. I don't know, I've never really designed/built/help make an operating system.

However, were M$ to release the Windows source code to the public I think that nothing but good (for users and for M$) would come of it.

Instead of releasing full fledged OS's with supporting apps and such, they could release core versions which people/companies/organizations could mod and alter to their heart's content. All the while retaining the core functionality and kernal so that software developers could be sure that their programs will run no matter how altered the rest of the system was.

Something like that, I think, could doom the Linux OS... oh, crap. If anyone from M$ is reading this, I was JUST KIDDING!!

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:56 PM

MS will never go for it so dont worry too much andrew. MS is too busy trying to trample OSS like Mozilla, OpenOffice, and Linux Server (I dont think they are to worried about Linux desktop ATM) to think about using OSS to their advantage. Look at the strides Linux has made in the last 2-3 years because of it (From Fedora Core 3 to Fedora 7 just look at the massive improvement)

Posted Image

#4 Zig!

Zig!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

Ya I agree but I think it would be good for everyone. If Microsoft wanted to have open source and could sell addon software or find some other way of making thier $ they would crush everyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users