Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot:

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:42 AM

hi

WINDOWS XP HOME SP1
ACER ASPIRE T310
Pentium 4 2.6Ghz
1GB Ram
80GB Hardrive (Seagate)

DVD BUrner died, so put a new one in...LG DVD Dual Layer...
Computer then kept restarting once it reached the welcome screen.....then died and just gives 1 long beep (lasts 5-6 seconds then a 2 second pause over and over)...

any ideas???

even tried putting the old original DVD burner in and still does it......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:11 AM

Shot in the dark here, try re-seating the RAM.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:18 AM

RESEATED RAM AND GRAPHICS CARD and no change, its nearly 4 yr old....probaby used too much, it was used every day until recently when i got a new pc.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:20 AM

If it gets to the welcome screen its passing post. I Would run Memtest and check your ram. Amazing Andrews suggestion is good too check to make sure its seated properly. You can check the for the beep code in your motherboard manufactures manual. Or on the website for the bios. Award bios etc... Usually one long beep is a memory problem but that is during the POST check. Another option would be overheating make sure the computer is free of dust bunnies and that all the fans are operating correctly.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

the thing is i can't do that now it managed to get to the welcome screen when it was rebotting over and over, i turn it off, to check if anything was out, so i turned it on and that's when it started the beep, nothing will show up on the screen now, just the beep now so can't do the beep code on the mother board. For the age of the PC its quite clean, i ran a vacuum with soft brush over it, took the fan off and wiped that over, still no different....

#6 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

Hi Izzy. The computer doesn't even have to boot to any part of Windows to be able to run Memtes86. After the BIOS runs its POST (Power On Self Test) the Memtest86 disc will automatically be booted from and the test will run unaided.
You can fully test the RAM by using Memtest86. Download the ISO image file and burn it to a CD using Nero, Roxio, CDBurnerXP Pro or Active ISO Burner. Make sure the BIOS is configured to try to boot from the Master CD/DVD drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. Your system will boot from the disc and Memtest86 will start running automatically.

Menetest86(+) should report no errors in 3 complete passes. This could take some time.

Memtest86 is nearly identical to Memtest86+.

Memtest86 V3.5

Memtest86+ V1.70

Freeware Burning Programs

CDBurnerXP Pro

Active@ ISO Burner

If any errors are found and you have multiple sticks of RAM installed then uninstall all but one stick and retest each until you locate the bad one. Bad RAM can not be repaired. However, if you bought the RAM yourself keep in mind that most reputable RAM companies have a lifetime replacement policy on their RAM. You will need the receipt or an electronic copy of it.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

the above didn't work, simply because it won't boot from the CD/DVD drive, and i can't get into the config section at boot up because nothing comes up on the screen, it beeps instantly....

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:23 PM

bit the bullet, pulled out the 2 512mb rams, and the 256mb ATI Raedeon 9800 SE Pro video card gave them a light wipe over, put them all back in, its not beeping at me, it loads up to the desktop and then just restarts.....

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

can you boot into safe mode?

#10 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

I believe Acer desktops come with a recovery partition, booting in to that may be your easiest option of restoring Windows to a functional state.
I think on Acers you hit ALT+F10 to access the recovery program. Be advised that this operation may delete all of the personal data on your hard drive, including documents, music, installed programs, etc. It will basically restore the computer back into the state in which you got it new from the factory.

If you wish to save your data first (and the recovery program doesn't allow you to save your data), you could make a backup of the data on your drive by booting up with a knoppix CD. Or, if you have a standard Windows XP OEM CD that matches the version you are using (Home or Professional), you could do a repair installation.
Posted Image

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

THis particular Acer system doesn't have the recovery partian as it a nearly 4 year old system which still came with the recovery disks....i have a Acer system i got in January/Feb this year and has no discs......

I never got the change to try getting into safe mode as the PC got taken to the technition ($$$)....apparenty they said it shouldn't be much....just hope it doesn't cost.....thanks for all your help...i'll post back once it has been resolved so we all know what the problem was...

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

i don't know the details of what is wrong with the PC yet, all i know they have to reinstall windows, as there seems to be an issue with the files or something, i don't know why, as it isn't on the internet....anyway we'll soon see if it is up and running again....

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:27 AM

ok, i have my PC back from the technitian, $150AUD it cost....could have done it myself, just a matter of reinstaling windows, as the system files were corrupt, i don't know how, it was fine, until i put the new LG-DVD-RW in..Anyway its going like a new machine now...

Thanksfor all your input, much appreciated...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users