Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems Trying To Complete Steps Of "before Posting"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SippingT

SippingT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hello,

System currently using: Windows XP - purchased in 4/2004

I am trying to complete the steps provided in the "before posting" and I am running into problems.

(1) I have completed step 1. - "Create a free account" successfully
(2) I have completed step 2. - "Enable topic reply notification by default" sucessfully
(3) I have completed step 3. - "Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files" sucessfully
(4) I did not complete step 4. - "Scan your computer with Ad-Aware and Spybot - search and Destroy" - Since I have "Webroot Sprysweeper for MSN - I wasn't sure if I needed to download Ad-Aware SE. Should I still download this? I just recently downloaded "Webroot Spysweeper for MSN." I have run "webroot" continuously and it has not solved the problem. It found virtumonde on 2 previous scans, quarantined them and I then went and manually deleted them from the listing they provided. I haven't download Spybot - Searchand Destroy since I recently download "Macafee Anti-virus software" and a "Macafee firewall protection." I wasn't sure if this would cause a conflict between the 2 programs. Since I am an MSN subscriber these (webroot and mcafee) are the softwares that are available with my subscription service and also what they (msn support) recommend I do to solve my problem. PROBLEM NOT SOLVED.

(5) I did not complete step 5. "Scan your computer for malware infections." As stated above in (4) I was concerned that dowloading the recommended anti-virus prgrams in step 5. would interfer with macafee anti-virus. Should I still download "Housecall Anti Virus" or "Panda Anti Virus?"
(6) I have completed step 6. - unsuccessfully ... I downloaded McAfee AVERT Stinger and followed the directions outlined. In the process of the scan the following message appeared: "Standalone anti-virus scanner for certain viruses has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost." At this point I closed the window that was displaying the message and tried to run the scan again. In the midst of the scan the message appeared again. After 2 unsuccesful attempts I am bewildered and decided I needed to send you a post. Sorry for the early post....but...if I can't get through the basics, I can't imagine what I'm in store for once I finally get through these "as most might see them," simple 9 steps.

SO I"M STUCK AT STEP "6" OR MAYBE EVEN BEFORE THAT.

Thanks for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

Welcome to BC SippingT

(4) I did not complete step 4. - "Scan your computer with Ad-Aware and Spybot - search and Destroy" - Since I have "Webroot Sprysweeper for MSN - I wasn't sure if I needed to download Ad-Aware SE.

Using either Ad-aware or Spybot with your existing programs will not cause any conflicts.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. You can go ahead and just download/scan with Spybot S&D.

(5) I did not complete step 5. "Scan your computer for malware infections." As stated above in (4) I was concerned that dowloading the recommended anti-virus prgrams in step 5. would interfer with macafee anti-virus. Should I still download "Housecall Anti Virus" or "Panda Anti Virus?"

These are online scans. Your only downloading ActiveX components (not the software) so you can complete the online scan.

If you have Firefox installed, then you can use Trend Micro Housecall Scan for Firefox instead. <- Does not use ActiveX

(6) I have completed step 6. - unsuccessfully

If you had a problem getting stinger to scan, download and use AVG vcleaner instead. If you have a problem with getting it to scan, then skip that step and continue with the next.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 SippingT

SippingT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:57 PM

Thank you -- quietman7 for your assistance and advice. Currently, I'm in the process of moving, so I haven't been on the computer much due to packing, actually, I kind of dreaded logging-on knowing that this would take time that I won't have until after Oct 1st. However, I do intend to follow your instructions and report back.

Thanks again...SippingT

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

Your welcome and good luck with your move.

We will still be here when you settle in and get back to dealing with your computer issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users