Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop Icons Or Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 3d_me

3d_me

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

Ok, so I started to build a new computer for 3-d modeling with solidworks and autoCAD and also some gaming. I had a friend put the pc together for me; for this was my first custom built pc.

This is my build:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor 2.4 GHz
NVIDIA 680i SLI motherboard
850 Cool master power supply
4 Gigs Corsair ram (1gig single sticks in the four slots on the motherboard)
BFG NVIDIA 8800 GTX video card at 756 ram
2x Dual layer DVD burners
Zalman GT-1000 Gaming Case
500 gig hard drive

I am running windows xp 64 bit

Problem I am having is I keep losing my desktop icons and start menu, also right click is not available. Couldnít figure it out so I re-installed everything after only one day of use. My computer guy said I had a virus from the internet. I said ok and went with it. He fixed it and I took the pc home again. Well after 4 days of gaming with Unreal tournament and some minor 3d modeling with Solidworks, my icons and desktop are missing again and I can not right click either. I made another account name beside mine and had everything working ok with this new account name. Figured since everything was working well and I would just delete the messed up account. Well, after a day use again it did the same thing with no icons or start menu. I also can not right click. Have to use control alt delete to do anything. I can still run games and software by going into the task manager but where is everything. I had Norton and adware install this last time too when everything went. Don't think i could have gotten the same virus again.

Itís been doing this for about a month and sucks big time, spent good $$ and canít get the pc to work right. I have not over clocked anything or messed with any bios. I did notice that the pc only registered 2.75 gigs of ram and not the full 4.

Any suggestion on what could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:34 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer 3d_me. :thumbsup:

Try the fix from kellys-korner, Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar on Line #195.

Also have a look at Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 3d_me

3d_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:15 AM

I have tried the kelly-korner cure, it didn't work. I will take a look at the other link you posted. Thanks for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users