Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot, Dual Registries?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

If i make a dual boot with vista and xp pro do i get 2 registries, 1 on each partition? that way i could use xp pro for programs that arent vista ready yet and the registry stuff wouldnt interfere with vista?

also does anyone know how to delete the dell hidden recovery partititon? i dont need it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

In general, you'll have a registry for XP and a registry for Vista, each on the partition that the OS is installed on. If you're dual booting, then the XP installation will function independent of the Vista installation (so you can install programs on the XP installation and they won't affect the Vista installation).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

so we are looking at no problems right?

#4 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:53 PM

Each operating system lives in their own partition; each is fully functional with their own registry, folders, etc. There should be no problem.

You can delete the Dell recovery partition by using Disk Management. Delete the right partition then format it to whatever you like (you'll most likely want NTFS unless you're using linux).

#5 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

how do i know which partition it is?

#6 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

how do i know which partition it is?

Is it labeled "recovery partition" or anything like that? I'd imagine that the recovery partition would be smaller than the rest. Take a screenshot of the Disk Management screen, that would be it easier for us to help.

#7 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:07 AM

I'm dual-booting w/ Vista and XP, and so far, no problems. One change i make to a OS doesn't affect the other. Just make sure u install to diff. partitions.

hope it helps.

#8 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:08 AM

i got a disk for drivers for this computer. is that all the info i need to install when i install xp pro as my second os?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users