Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hello
I have a friends computer running Xp Pro. It is a Dell 4550 with Intel 2.40 processor. Found it is unable to access the internet, has no sound, printer is not recognized. In device manager under "Other devices" it has a yellow question mark as well as all the items within it. Tried going to dell for drivers but couldn't get any to install. :thumbsup:
H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

Can you list what is showing a yellow exclamation point?

Did you receive an error when trying to install the drivers?

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:27 PM

Listed as follows

?"Other Devices"

Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Input Device
SM Bus Controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

All have a question mark and all appear to be without drivers

Thanks

Edit: did have an error trying to install driver. Can't remember exactly what it read however. I don't think it was going to the right folder or file. During the install process it wanted to create a folder which I tried but as you know, didn't work

Edited by tpm, 04 September 2007 - 02:30 PM.

Tom

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

Well, missing those drivers certainly explains everything except the Internet.

Can you run those installs again and give the exact error message?

They should install in C:\dell\drivers, and I know that if the directory is not there, it will ask if you would like to create it, to which you should select YES.

Do you have the drivers you need for the items listed with the question marks?

Edited by jwinathome, 04 September 2007 - 04:48 PM.

#5 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

Do you have the drivers you need for the items listed with the question marks?

I really don't know. The Dell site was somewhat confusing. I tried downloading 3 drivers, what I thought was for the internet, the sound, and the chip set update. It is for a Dell 4550 with intel P-4 2.4
Tom

#6 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:22 AM

Well, the drivers you need are here:

Dell 4550, Windows XP

The drivers you should download and install are:
  • Analog Devices - Driver (located under the Audio section)
  • Broadcom - Driver (located in network section)
  • Eicon - Driver (communication section)
  • For the VGA Controller, you will need to figure out which video card you have and select its respective driver under the video section.
Also, do you recall what the error message was yet, when you were trying to install these drivers?

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

Also, do you recall what the error message was yet, when you were trying to install these drivers?

A "Severe" box popped up stating Driver not found. Reboot and run again
Tom

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but are you logged in as an admin?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#9 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

I really don't know if it has administrator rights. It is running Xp professional (I'm used to Xp Home). Plus there is only 1 user on the computer so I'm thinking it does has administrator rights. Any way to find out for sure??

Ps: I will have the original Dell driver CD tomorrow (I tried my dell driver cd but it didn't recognize it). What happens if that doesn't work?????

Thanks
Tom

#10 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

Any way to find out for sure??

Click Start, and right-click My Computer. Select Manage. In the console tree, expand Local Users and Groups. Click the Users folder. In the pane on the right side, find your login that you use and double-click it. Select member of tab. This information will tell you what group(s) the logon belongs to.

Of course, if you didnt have elevated security priveledges, you probably would not have been allowed to get that far. :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#11 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

Thanks
It is indeed an administrative account. It is labeled as such (no specific user name as it's the only user on the computer. Guest account is disabled)
Tom

#12 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Could the Motherboard be bad? and if so is there a way to check? an "easy way?
Tom

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:38 AM

The easiest, free check for a motherboard is SiSoft Sandra Lite: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264

I haven't installed drivers on a Dell with Vista yet, but the XP drivers installed easily by following the readme file included with every download. Since Dell switches hardware during a model run, it's imperative that you find out which drivers are needed. In the past Dell used to include a driver and applications CD with their systems - and some had a restore partition on the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:11 AM

I'll have the Dell Driver CD today. I'll let you know what happens
Thanks John

Ps: What options do I have if the original driver cd doesn't work? remember I can't get it to connect to the internet (says the plug is unplugged ~ which it's not and does in fact work. The router doesn't even light up for it. I went direct from the modem to the computer to check it but still couldn't get a connection.

I should have the CD by noon time so we'll see
Thanks
Tom

#15 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

Update

I was able to get the Ethernet adapter to work. Seems I had to jiggle the connection so I guess the recepticle in the card isn't that tight. Working however. I will try to reinstall the drivers through that computer now going through the internet. I will not have the original driver CD 'till tomorrow. Also found out the computer came with Xp Home and it was just upgraded to Xp Professional (wonder if that could be part of the problem?) will see if it will take windows updates. If not I will reinstall Xp Home back on it
I'll keep you posted
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users