Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lgettis

lgettis

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

Hello,

Here at work I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop that will not turn on. I push the 'on' button on the front panel and a green light comes on for a brief half second and then turns amber color then off. I once got it to come up to a black screen (for about 3 or 4 seconds). An error message read something about 'multiple sign-on or log-on attemps.....' and then it dies. I haven't tested the powersupply just yet but I did some research on the web and found that it could be a motherboard problem. Does this sound true to you?

lgettis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

Could be a motherboard problem but I would check the power supply first. Then go from there

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

Sneakycyber,

Yep, its the power supply. I'll get it replaced. Thanks! :thumbsup:

#4 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:23 AM

F. Y. I.
When the computer came on I received the following message:
[black screen]...Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [PnP3]. For help resoving this problem, please note this checkpoint and contact Dell Technical Support.
Alert! Previous shutdown due to thermal event. Strike F1 to continue or F2 for .....

Should I be worried about this message?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

Not sure about the first one, but the one about a thermal event would be cause for concern. Make sure all fans and heatsinks are clean and the fans are turning. Plus make sure the heatsink is solidly mounted to the CPU
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 DellCA

DellCA

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

lgettis, I'm not sure if you are still having a problem with your Dim3000, but I've got a few things that might help you determine what is causing the problem.

Normally if the power light comes on, but is solid amber (yellow), the system is getting power but not processing data (blinking amber usually means the power supply is not able to power the board for some reason). To get more information about where the system is having the problem I would check the four diagnostic lights (labeled A through D) to see if they come on at all.

If the diag lights never come on then the system is not getting to the Power On Self Test (POST) which means it is most likely CPU or motherboard. If those lights come on, then what they stop at should give you a pretty good idea of what is causing the failure.

At the least, I would recommend disconnecting all the drives from the motherboard, removing the memory, any add in cards including video if you are not using integrated. Then, with only the mouse, keyboard connected (and monitor if using integrated video), see if the computer will power up. If it works, then something you disconnected or removed is the problem, and reconnecting things one at a time will determine what has failed.

If you have any questions on this, or are still having problems with the computer, I will be happy to provide any help I can.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

#7 lgettis

lgettis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:39 AM

DellCA,

This Dimension 3000 would not power on at all. The diagnostic lights never came on. Once I pushed the on button, the green light came on for a 1/2 second then turned amber for another 1/2 second then turns off. I switch power supplies with my computer (Dim 3000) and the pc came on. So I diagnosed a bad power supply. It should receive it tomorrow.

Thanks,

#8 DellCA

DellCA

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

I'm glad you were able to figure out exactly what has failed. If you run into any problems or questions with the replacement I'll be happy to help.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users