Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Diagnostic Tool Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 texanstc

texanstc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

I ran the extended test overnight and this morning it had rebooted into Vista. The problem is that there are no results in the toolbar to be viewed as the tutorial said it should be. Where can I view the results of the memory test?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

Which memory test, which tool, and which tutorial? I'm presuming that you're using the built in memory tester - and it should've given you a notice if it passed the test or if it found any problems. If you didn't get a message, then I'd suspect that the test terminated abnormally - so you'll have to run the test and see if you can get a message from it (or see when it terminates). This'll involve a lot of boring, staring at the screen - but I've found not evidence of a log file or results page that will be displayed.

Here's a link to the BC tutorial on the memory test: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-vista-windows-memory-diagnostics-tool/

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 texanstc

texanstc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. I used the built in memory tester in Vista, and did the extended test. I found out that a log is entered in the 'Problems Reports and Solutions' section in the control panel under 'View Problem History'. It reported that the test passed with no errors and it seems I set up a custom test instead of the extended test. I guess that is why there was no notice in the toolbar when the system rebooted.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for the info! It'll help others who run the test and wonder about it's results. I'll mess around with it at work today (if we've got a Vista system there) to see what other options are available.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have lessened and I'm able to post/respond without too much difficulty. (05 Sep 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems come on suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users