Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Error (ahh!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nsweeney

nsweeney

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:06 AM

It has been increasingly difficult to connect to the internet on my dell Windows XP, and right now it is impossible. I am going to type the printed diagnostic log because I couldn't post it due to the internet trouble.

Network Adapter Diagnostic

Network location detection
info using home internet connection

Network adapter identification

info network connection: Name=Local Area Connection 4, Device=Intel® Pro/100 VE Network Connection, Mediatype=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN

info Network connection: Name=SonicWALL Virtual Adapter, device=SonicWALL VPN Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN

warn This machine has more than one ethernet or more than one wireless adapter

info redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

then a bunch of errors, ex:

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www. microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12002 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The operation timed out

other "warns" were connecting to hotmail, passport.net, and google

error Could not make an HTTP connection
error Could not make an HTTPS connecton
error Could not make an FTP connection

That's the log. I don't believe our computer is infected as I have been using Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D to check for problems. We use DSL and Verizon supports our internet, but we use msn and internet explorer as browsers- I don't know if they could affect each other, as the diagnostic seems to say we could have more than one ethernet or wireless connection?

Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hi nsweeney,

Do you use IE6 or IE7?

Are you have trouble with certain sites is all of the time?

Do your web pages open completely blank or do you get an error message?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 nsweeney

nsweeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:20 PM

IE 7

There seems to be no prejudice site-wise; this morning I couldn't connect at all, but tonight the connection seems to be fine with the occasional waver where the page must be refreshed or the computer restarted.

An error message comes up on the actual webpage.

thanks

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:32 PM

There are many possible reasons this is happening and the contributing factors vary for each computer.

Try and determine if there is a problem with an extension by starting IE in No Add-Ons mode.
Then determine if IE still fails.
If not, use Tools/ Manage Add-Ons to disable all browser extensions and toolbars.
Restart IE and re-enable the browser extensions one at a time.
When you've the culprit, contact the manufacturer and request an update.

If no joy, then clear old files and settings may be preventing you from connecting to the Internet.

Click Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files button.
When the box opens, put a check in Delete All Offline Content.
Click Okay.
Click Delete Cookies. When you are prompted to confirm this selection, click Okay.
Click Settings.
Click View Objects.
Click View, and then click Details.
If Damaged appears in the Status column for any program file, remove that program file.
Close the Downloaded Program Files dialog box.
In the Settings dialog box, click OK .
Under History, click Clear History, and then click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the selection.
In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.

Try to browse the Internet.

Check your settings.

Open IE, click on Tools, then Internet options, then go to the Connection tab, click on LAN settings,
Check the box Use a Proxy Server for Your LAN (These settings will not apply to Dial-up connections), enter your IP address and port number then check Bypass Proxy Server for Local Addresses.
Click Okay, then Okay again.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users