Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 teddy01

teddy01

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

my computer programs and applications became too slow to open. they usually took several minutes before they actually open. i also got an error message that read " YOUR COMPUTER IS LOW ON VIRTUAL MEMORY" Is there anyone who is willing enough to help me? thanks! I am using DELL INSPIRON 4000 W/ INTEL PENTIUM III 701 Mhz, 68.0 MB of RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hi Teddy01 and welcome to bleeping computer.

How large is your hard drive and how much free space do you have?

To find out double click on My Computer> right click on your C drive and it will show this.

Edited by dc3, 04 September 2007 - 09:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

Since you are posting this in the XP forum I am assuming you are running XP as the OS. Just as an advisory the minimum system specifications for running XP are as follows:
Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

As it stands now you are at the absolute bare bones minimum for using XP. My personal recommendation is nothing under 512 MB of Ram and preferably 1GB.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 teddy01

teddy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

MY HARD DRIVE CAPACITY IS 19,715,993,600 BYTES OR 18.3 GB. MY FREESPACE IS 9,776,961,152 BYTES OR 9.09.

#5 teddy01

teddy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:23 AM

MY HARD DRIVE CAPACITY IS 19,715,993,600 BYTES OR 18.3 GB. MY FREESPACE IS 9,776,961,152 BYTES OR 9.09.

#6 teddy01

teddy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

THANKS A LOT! YOU GAVE ME A GOOD IDEA. I WILL CONSIDER YOUR RECOMMENDATION. GOD BLESS YOU..

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

68.0 MB of RAM

If you would up your RAM to a minimum of 512 MB, you would notice a significant improvement in performance.
In my opinion/experience, Microsofts minimum requirements are a joke.
Sure, XP will run with those specs, but just barely.
In reality, 512 MB should be the minimum.

Usually a Low Virtual Memory warning, is due to a lack of RAM.
When a system starts running low on RAM, it starts using the paging file (virtual memory). which is located on the harddisk.
Since the harddisk is so much slower than RAM, it's not a very efficient way to run things, which could cause sluggish system performance.

Up you RAM, and you will be amazed at the increase in performance.

According to Crucial, your computer can handle a maximum of 512 MB of RAM (2 x 256MB).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

tg1911 beat me to it.

Have you ever defragged you hdd?

Edited by dc3, 04 September 2007 - 10:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 teddy01

teddy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

68.0 MB of RAM

If you would up your RAM to a minimum of 512 MB, you would notice a significant improvement in performance.
In my opinion/experience, Microsofts minimum requirements are a joke.
Sure, XP will run with those specs, but just barely.
In reality, 512 MB should be the minimum.

Usually a Low Virtual Memory warning, is due to a lack of RAM.
When a system starts running low on RAM, it starts using the paging file (virtual memory). which is located on the harddisk.
Since the harddisk is so much slower than RAM, it's not a very efficient way to run things, which could cause sluggish system performance.

Up you RAM, and you will be amazed at the increase in performance.

According to Crucial, your computer can handle a maximum of 512 MB of RAM (2 x 256MB).

THANKS FOR THE EXTRA EFFORT YOU GAVE TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM. YOU ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. GOD BLESS YOU..

#10 teddy01

teddy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

tg1911 beat me to it.

Have you ever defragged you hdd?

NOT YET.. MAYBE I SHOULD START NOW. THANKS

0 user(s) are reading this topic