Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ICEHOLE

ICEHOLE

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:06 AM

I have an approx 8 year old homemade computer, made by a computer programer friend of mine that since moved away. It has been upgraded with hard ware a few times, video card, ram and a new hard drive, but nothing has been added or changed in at least 2 years.

It has:

An in Intel 2.4 g processor, socket 478 chipset.
Asus PS4533 Motherboard.
1.5 g ram.
256 NVIDIA video card.
Creative labs SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer sound card.
Windows XP Pro.

This computer has always worked great and I keep the drivers, which I know of, up to date. I have never updated the mother board drivers, though as I am not sure which ones to use as none of them I read about on the ASUS forum seems to fit what I have or need. Also, I have read that if you are not having bios problems then to just leave it alone.

Recently I have had troubles getting it to boot all the way up properly.
It goes all the way to my desk top screen, loads all my icons and background and than freezes and fails to go any further. I does not load my other start up programs such as wireless network, Norton, sound icons and other items that are in my lower right hand start up tray. I have to manually shut it down by holding in the power button and then restart it. It usually works fine the next restart and even many time loads properly on the very first try.

I have NO spy ware or viruses as I have Norton and Ad-aware that I run every few days and keep installed and on for constant protection.

As a note. When and once it does load properly, this system runs with out a single flaw.

Any Ideas on possible fixes would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

might be the hard drive, but it's probably a weak power supply, maybe a buildup of dirt/lint etc in the computer?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

Hi Icehole and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Heat can cause this, with the power off open the case and look for dust built up on the CPU heat sink and fan assembly, if there is a buildup of dust you can blow this out with canned air. If the is a build up you should look at where the air enters the case to make sure that the grill is clean as well. One other note, if you blow through a fan with this canned air it's hard on the bearing, stick a pencil through the blades to keep it from spinning.

If this isn't the problem we can look at other options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:27 PM

Hi . Check this out

Crashes, Freezes, Some BSODs, Unexpected Shutdowns & Restarts (oh my)

Edited by WinCrazy, 04 September 2007 - 12:27 PM.

#5 ICEHOLE

ICEHOLE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

I am pretty sure its NOT heat... because it only does it on start up. Also, I clean all the dust out of it on a routine basis. I run my Asus Heat Monitor all the time and it never over heats, either. I have several cooling fans in it and even on massive gaming it never goes over or even approaches any heat threshold for any component. One last note, when it does this failure to boot... and my desk top is loaded but nothing works as I have stated.. my mouse does work. But, I cant do anything. I am suspecting that my hard drive maybe getting ready to croak. I have already replaced it one time about 4 years ago. Could this be the hard drive weakening?

Oh, and as for the power supply... I have never had any trouble with it and my monitoring program shows all fans and voltage it 100 %.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

it's the load on the voltage rails at bootup that you can't monitor, that's when everything has to get up to speed and you have a huge drain on the power supply

to check disconnect all case fans and extra drives

bad bearing in a case fan can aggrevate this, bad hard drive will too

got one 80 gig sata that I have hardly ever used, it will only detect with a big power supply and then once it's started it's fine

what brand of PS is yours?

Edited by DaChew, 04 September 2007 - 03:19 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users