Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen On Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j joy j

j joy j

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:02 AM

Not sure what is going on...we had the power company shut of power to put a new poll in without notifying us while I was using my laptop, now I am having issues.

Dell Inspiron 6000 with Vista home premium...

When I start it up it gives me a screen that says that Windows was shut down improperly, giving me options as to how to boot. I tried hitting F8 and starting from the last known safe spot but no matter what option I try it acts like it is trying to start up and then I just get a dark, blank screen -- although I can still see and move my mouse.

Any ideas would be great and thanks in advance!

Joy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:10 PM

I'm seeing a lot of these recently - I suspect a conflict between a Windows Update and an older video driver (but have no evidence to support it). I've only had my hands on one of these since I've started suspecting this - and it didn't have any evidence (nor could I recreate the issue).

Are you trying the Last Known Good Configuration - or the Safe Mode - or both? If you can't get into Safe Mode, you'll have to try repairing it with the Vista DVD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for your response. I did try both -- last known good config and safe mode (I was able to try and boot in safe mode). Both times it first acted like it was going to start up (shows the microsoft logo and the little bar) and then goes blank. I did have dell send me a new video card. The one that is in the dell now is the one that came with it. They sent me the only one that is compatible with the Inspiron (they said). I was debating if that was the prob or not and if I should try to put it in or just send it back. I have not tried to repair with the Vista DVD.

Thanks for your input and help, Joy.

#4 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:24 AM

I installed an updated video card but it still didn't startup correctly... :huh:

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

j joy j see if this 'repair' tutorial works for you:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 j joy j

j joy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:10 AM

That worked. Started it off the DVD, used system restore to a date before I ran my last updates and everything is great.

So does this mean that I have to return the HP laptop I just bought? I talked my hubby into letting me get a new one, he's not to techy and doesn't know a thing about trying to fix stuff like this. So my plan...was to get a nice new laptop and someday get this fixed for our daughter. My new laptop still has a few days that I can return it... :huh: I think I'll have to keep it and continue to work on the "broken" one for a while.

Thanks for your help...
Joy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users