Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Suddenly Has No Sound.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Randoming

Randoming

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:39 AM

When I try to play music in Windows Media and RealPlayer, it says something like

"Cannot open audio device. Another application may be using it."

This appeared about ten minutes after I had no problem with audio. I think it could be one of the following problems but I'm not sure.

1. I have NCH software suite programs Soudtap, RecordPad and Verbose installed (they came along with Express Burn so I just included them incase I would want to use it). I was trying to figure out how they worked and I pressed record a few times but I had no problem with my RealPlayer and Windows audio. I don't know if these programs are still running without my knowledge but I've closed them out.

2. Right before the problem started, my AVG antivirus detected a couple of trojans so I sent them to the virus vault and emptied it, without reading where they were located. I think it may be possible that one of the Trojans was found in the sound device and maybe I deleted it. I'm not sure.

3. My computer is infected with WinAntivirus 2007. This program has already removed entry to the Control Panel, Task manager and command prompt by creating an Administrator account.

I don't mean to make this confusing. I guess my question is whether or not I should download a new soundcard or if there's a way to restore the old one? If I need to download a new one, where is the safest, most reliable site? Is it possible to get a quality sound device for free? Also, a family member is going to reinstal Windows XP this weekend to get rid of the WinAntivirus problems. Is it possible that removing the NCH software may restore the sound? Thanks for any help.

I'm working on a Hewlett Packard pavilion PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Randoming

Randoming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

Sorry, I found the solution to my audio problem. one of those programs, somehow reset my default setings for sound playback after a reboot. I will start a new topic for my WinAntivirus question.

#3 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:38 PM

Im sure if somebody else had the same problem as you, they would want to fix it aswell.

Would you mind replying with instructions of how you fixed it? :thumbsup:

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users