Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Backups And Raid

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

Hi

I'm new to putting together my own PC (this being my first attempt) so please bear in mind that while I'm up for persevering to setup a RAID array if necessary, I probably don't want to get into complex configurations.

So soon to build a new PC, I'm trying to figure out how to organise my data on it. I will have plenty of drive bays and SATA connectors (so I'm looking for SATA drives only) with all the RAID configurations supported and I want a minimum of 300GB total storage space - around 500GB is preferred. What I can't decide is whether I should buy multiple smaller drives in some RAID array or partition larger drives and divide up information in that way or maybe both.

I honestly don't know if RAID is worth the setup hassle from a newbie perspective but what I am sure of is that I want to separate my data. I intend to have 2 OSs (WinXP and Linux) each in their own partitions where all programs and utilities would be installed/kept. Also I would like to have a bit more insurance over my personal files by either keeping them on a separate drive entirely, setting up a RAID backup or having an external copy. I think I would most prefer a solution where I can automate the backup options i.e. some software backups for me regularly or I'm auto-saving files in a separate location but I'm not sure what's best.

Based on reviews and specs I currently like the Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ and I don't want to spend 100s on paranoia-fuelled storage backups. I just want a safe and efficient system of organising my data.

Please can anyone help me with some advice. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 05:47 PM

Any help guys? (or girls?)

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:13 AM

I don't think that RAID is worth the hassle myself - but that's a personal decision rather than a technical one.

As for organizing it, I keep my OS and programs on one hard drive and send all of my data to another hard drive which I can organize however I feel is best.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:29 AM

That's one of the options I'm considering usasma. Do you use any other methods of safekeeping data (ie backups also) or do you only separate it over 2 HDDS?

With the price of large HDDs at the moment (particularly the Samsung Spinpoint 500Gb), would you say its better to buy 2 separate smaller HDDs or to partition 1 larger HDD?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:39 AM

Never put all your eggs in one basket, even tho I prefer Seagate and their 5 year warranty, several people have had drives fail or crash in the first year. There are many benefits from having 2 hard drives in a computer, any transfers go a lot faster than from partition to partition on the same drive. In addition to keeping more than one copy of critical, hard to replace data,
I would consider a dvd burner as another "basket" for my eggs.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:04 AM

For my own data, I also backup the entire hard drive using an imaging utility (Acronis True Image) on a sporadic basis.

For my wife's office, we backup the data (daily) to:
- a different drive on the same computer using SyncBackSE
- a different computer in the office using SyncBackSE
- to my house using pcAnywhere
- and am considering using an online service also

I was considering trying RAID 1 on the main system there, but even if I preserve it on the array I'll still have to go out there to do the swap myself (no one there knows a lot about computer hardware).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users