Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing Grub

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

Well folks, I had to re--install XP Pro as it was badly corrupted from the NTFS 3g driver on the Linux side. That's the least of my concerns right now tho.
I previously had Vista, XP Pro, OpenSuse, and Ubuntu Feisty.

So as blackspyder told me in the past Windows Loader likes to rain supreme which I already knew. But I've never had to replace/repair the GRUB.
Right now XP is the only OS that boots, while the others remain intact but unuseable. Wondering if there's a disk that will do this easily. Further, I'd like to ensure that Vista controls the loading of itself and XP Pro and Not XP. The reason being that Vista seems to handle loading with a bit more speed if that's possible. So here are my thoughts on this one:

Remove the NT Loader that XP uses; Repair/replace the Vista Loader and edit it to include XP. now they both load, and then install a disk that will repair the Grub for use in text mode. My thought is that the Vista Loader will be place back on the Local disk instead of the Super Block on the first boot disk.
From there I can Install only the GRUB which will re-align the Vista loader on the local disk, no issues, and no need to edit the Grub/Grub.conf

I'm certain I know how to do the part with XP and Vista. Does anyone have any suggestions before I continue?

Want to make certain I mess things up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:23 AM

go here. There are instructuions for copying a hd to a new one, installing and reinstalling grub. There are actually 2 different methods to do Grub on there... any questions, just hit me up!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/101936/my-experience-copying-to-a-new-hard-drive/
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 Derek_S

Derek_S

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

As far as I can see, looking at that posted link, it won't do the job of getting the Vista in control - it will get the Vista bootloader overwritten.

You have to get grub to install on (for example) a partition and then copy the bootloader from that partition (using dd) to somewhere you can use it as a file in Vista, following which you put it as a file in the Vista filesystem, and refer to it as another OS to boot in the Vista boot process.

I've done this with XP, but the boot process has changed with Vista, and I wouldn't like to pose an any sort of expert before trying it out.

There is a helpful guide to the boot process here

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

I could swear that post wasn't that specific when I posted my reply!!??

Anyway, yes, Derek is right. If you want the Vista boot loader to handle Vista and XP and Grub to handle your Linux distros, you will have to do it differently. According to MS, the bootloader in XP and Vista are the same, but work a bit differently. Obviously this difference is extreme enough to validate thousands of how to's on the web as I've just discovered.

To be honest, I have no idea where to go from here, so I will bow out. Grub and/or Lilo have always more than satisfied my needs. I know there are work arounds for the windows bootloaders and other 3rd party ones, so it'll probably be a combination of those to get what you want. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#5 Snappahead

Snappahead

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:49 AM

Perhaps you could use something like Knoppix so you can get grub installed and tell it what your various partitions are for, and how you want to boot them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users