Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Sort Of Dying....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Azshmo

Azshmo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

My computer is completely finished I think. Well, it's still useable, but bleh. It's really hot right now so my comp was overheating. I have to buy a laptop, but I dont want to rush into it because I still dont know what to get. I asked about my overheating problem which is as such: It overheats in hot weather and has been doing so for a really really long time. I think the second summer I had it, it was really hot and I smelled a smokey smell one time, so I started putting bags of ice on top of my computer until the heat wave was over (I know I'm hella hi tech). If the weather gets too hot, it just overheats when I'm doing stuff like browsing el internet. If it's cooler weather, like it almost always is where I am, it only overheats if I do certain tasks, such as running a game like WCIII or running an SNES emulator on hi speeds. It has never had issues with PS emulators.

BTW, by overheating I mean it just shuts off. Sometimes it shuts off and then restarts immediately by itself, and other times it shuts off and doesnt turn on again. I found out a while ago that when it does this it wont turn on again at all until I switch off the power switch in the back for a while, and then try again. The first time this happened I had someone coming to fix it because it wouldnt turn on for days until I tried messing with the power switch in the back.

So anyway, this guy at best guy reccomended something that no one else had ever reccomended before. By the way before I say anything else, my computer has 3 fans installed and I put in a 4th one recently. Fans arent the problem. I asked this guy about liquid cooling system and he reccomended I replace the thermal compound. He told me where to buy some, showed me where and how to put it on, so I did it. It didnt seem to difficult, I made sure to make the layer as thin as I could by using the flat side of a plastic pencil lead holder. It seemed to help at first, but during the day when it's warmer, my computer still shuts off when I do certain things like watching youtube videos.

Anything else I can do? Oh, and I have had the side panels of the computer taken off for a long time and I have a large fan running through it constantly. Annnd... I have had this computer for a little over 3 years, and I got it from ibuypower.com, because I used to use my PC for gaming.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

your power supply is kicking off, that's from heat and being dirty, blow out the case from every angle, especially the power supply, don't quit until every spek of dust is gone

I use the fan blowing into the open side myself when the room temperature gets too hot
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hmm, I forgot to add something. After my computer had been sitting in my dorm without use for about a month my freshman year.... so a little more than a year and a half ago, I came back, tried to turn my computer on, and heard a pop, and then saw and smelled some smoke. I was told it was either the motherboard or the power supply, but that it was worth trying to replace the power supply. So I bought a new one, I think the cheapest one because I wasnt sure if it would fix my comp, and I basicaly took a shot in the dark at installing it myself. I took out the old power supply and pretty much just matched up the cables with the same number of prongs to put in the new one. It worked, and I've had that supply ever since.

Now to be honest I dont even remember if this overheating problem was an issue before I replaced the power supply. I want to say that it was a problem beforehand, but I just cant remember at this point. But given everything else I've said, now that you point it out it would make tons of sense for it to be the power supply. So much that I want to kick myself for not even thinking of it being the problem.

Oh, and also, last year I dusted out my entire computer for the first time in like.... well, I had never dusted it off before. There were dust layers caked on some of the fans and whatnot, and right away the overheating problems basically vanished completely... for the time being.

So anyway, should I just invest in a more expensive power supply?

Thanks for the reply

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

if the heat is ok and the dust is removed and it still throws the overload protection on the power supply, I would try another power supply, but first I would rule out any sticky fans or drives overloading the voltage rails

Edited by DaChew, 03 September 2007 - 07:02 PM.

Chewy

#5 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

if the heat is ok and the dust is removed and it still throws the overload protection on the power supply, I would try another power supply, but first I would rule out any sticky fans or drives overloading the voltage rails

You kind of lost me here. The 'case temp' according to the screen below the disc drives read anywhere from 21-28 degrees C depending on the time of day right now.

For sticky fans, am I just checking if they are spinning smoothly?

Getting the dust out, I didnt have much compressed air left, but I can buy more easily. Am I taking the power supply out completely or just blowing air through the grid in the back?

"drives overloading the voltage rails" is where you completely lost me

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

fans with bad bearings or dirty blades draw down the voltage available from the power supply(voltage rails)

unfortunately canned compressed air is not up to the task of cleaning a very dirty computer or power supply

you have to have the side off when you boot the computer up to see what's happening

To clean a real nasty computer, I take it outside and have even used a leaf blower(stand way back) and make sure you don't blow it over

for my own and clients I use an air compressor with jet nozzle, it's something that you get better at over the years

you have to watch out for blowing dust under the heat sink on graphics cards tho or into open pci or memory slots
Chewy

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:42 PM

On a side note unless your using a freon based cooling system or TEC ( thermo electric cooling AKA peltier) you can only cool the computer as low as the ambient temperature. So if its 100 degrees in the room the lowest temperature the computer can get is 100 degrees no matter how many fans you have. No AC in a dorm room I am sure it gets pretty hot

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 September 2007 - 03:42 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:54 AM

K so I just replaced the power supply. It's the same brand and wattage as the old one which I didnt realize, but it was 100$, so it's not like cheapness is the problem right? Advantec 430 watt by the way.

It was basically the same except the old one had slightly different cables that confused me. They both have 3 cables that plug into the comp, and one of the cables leads to a big plug (I dont know the correct term, but they seem to function like plugs). That was the same on both power supplies and easy to deal with.

But the old power suppy had one cable that went --------(plug)-------(plug)-------(plug)------(small plug) and one that was just 2 plugs and then a smaller plug. The new one, however, had 2 cables with 3 plugs and then a smaller one, so I wasnt really sure how to set it up. I hope I didnt do anything stupid and ruin my comp. I just skipped the 3rd plug on one of the cables. Not sure if that made any sense at all, but I thought I'd try.

Aaaaanyways, the computer still overheated shortly after I turned it on. Granted, it has been 94 degrees today, but no one else has been complaining about the heat screwing with their computer.

So that's it really. I'm lost for ideas. The 2 remaining possibilities are that 1) I screwed up with the installation of both power supplies, or 2) I need to buy a super super super expensive power supply. 1 is possible I guess but I wouldnt know unless I paid best buy "only" 40$ for them to install the power supply and it probably wont make any difference at all, and I seriously doubt spending more than 100 dollars on a power supply will fix this issue.

On the plus side, it will soon become very cold and it will stay very cold for at least 6 months, and it is likely that my computer will stop overheating. However that doesnt really solve the problem, because even when it is cold my computer still overheats during certain tasks.

So is that the end? Is my comp just dead? Is there anything at all I havent done that might help? Is there any way to know what it is that is screwing up?

Guess I'm returning the power supply sometime in the next 2 weeks.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

http://www.advantech.com/products/Model_De...amp;BU=&PD=

these are industrial power supplies, you stated earlier that you had a cheap one?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

here's a program that will monitor your temperatures(see the sensor part)

the quick report would be usefull, try to get the temps right before you would expect a problem and with that fan blowing into it

Edited by DaChew, 11 September 2007 - 08:57 AM.

Chewy

#10 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

When I said cheap I just meant the cheapest I could get at bestbuy, there are cheaper ones out there. Weird since they are the same power supply but I dont think I could have spent 100$ on the power supply 2 years ago because I remember thinking "this might not even fix it, I'd better buy a cheap one just to check"

So I just put back in my old power supply and it's actually doing better so far. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in connecting the power supply?

I downloaded everest but I dont know of any quick report option, just a whole lot of text from a hardware report

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

Is the heatsink firmly mounted? They can sometimes become loose or even break
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

I had to take the heat sink off to take off and reapply thermal compound I put it back on and screwed it in firmly. Since according to wikipedia and what I saw, the heat sink is just a specially shaped piece of metal, I'm not sure what you mean by break.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

Not the heatsink itself, but the mounting bracket, but I assume it's OK
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

open everest, open computer

click sensor

at the top under report/quick report sensor/plain text

Temperatures:
Motherboard 31 C (88 F)
CPU 33 C (91 F)
GPU 40 C (104 F)
GPU Ambient 35 C (95 F)
DW CDW63G0-D00NF0A 38 C (100 F)
Seagate ST3250823AS 41 C (106 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2637 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.44 V
+3.3 V 3.23 V
+5 V 5.11 V
+12 V 12.10 V

this is at idle in a cool room

under overclock this is also useful for identifying your components

CPU Properties:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 3500+
CPU Alias Venice S939
CPU Stepping DH-E3
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3000+
CPUID Revision 00020FF0h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2249.99 MHz
CPU Multiplier 9.0x
CPU FSB 250.00 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 25%)
Memory Bus 125.00 MHz

CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)
L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 63-1408-000001-00101111-063005-K8T800P$A0036001_BIOS DATE: 06/30/05 17:34:14 VER: 08.00.09
Motherboard Name Asus A8V Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset VIA K8T800Pro, AMD Hammer
Memory Timings 2.5-4-4-10 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM2: Micron Tech. 256 MB PC4000 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-4-10 @ 250 MHz) (2.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

Chewy

#15 Azshmo

Azshmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:13 AM

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach (SMBus 2Dh)
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-E

Temperatures:
Motherboard 20 C (68 F)
CPU 54 C (129 F)
WDC WD1600BB-98DWA0 28 C (82 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2678 RPM
Chassis 2986 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.68 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 4.97 V