Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Query - Ip Address And New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 london_canuck

london_canuck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

Hello all:

Normally I find what I need in these forums by looking at others posts but this one is a bit odd.

I have a Virgin media cable modem and wireless oruter set up in my home. For the last year, my laptop has worked great and I've never had a problem.

Well my flatmate just got a new laptop and was not able to connect to the internet via wireless OR directly to the modem (via cable). So question 1 - shouldn't she just be able to enter the wireless router security code and then she can use the wireless too? Does she need to install anything from the disc that came with the router?

However, what happened was she called Dell help desk last week and they talked her through setting up her laptop to connect via modem (aka wire plugged into her laptop). She still can't access the wireless but her internet now works. However.....(you knew this was coming)....now my connection does not work whether wireless or cable. I cannot renew my address and it tells me that I have a problem with the DHCP. Obviously this is connected to whatever my flatmate did as I've never had a single problem in the last year. Question 2 - any ideas what this is and what I need to do?

Lastly - going forward we both want to be able to access the wireless. Question 3 - This should be possible, right? Shouldn't we both be able to get on at the same time?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Its really appreciated!
Tina.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

Ok, I believe I should be able to answer all of your questions:

1. Yes. By default routers are set to automatically give IP information to whomever connects to it's network. If you haven't changed any of the settings all she would have to do is punch in your code your router provides (depending on how you have it set) and she's on. Now remember if you set it to WEP 128bit, she'll need to enter a 26-alphanumeric code string or for 64-bit she'll need to enter 10. Same concept goes for the other encryption methods your router provides. If you have Automatic DHCP turned off on your router, she will need to enter some vaules into her Internet Connections Settings window (I'm assuming she's using windows) These values vary by manufacturer.

2. Have you asked about what she did (if she did anything to your router?) Who makes your router? (Flip it over and check)

3. You can have as many people connecting to the wireless router as your internet connection can hold. I wouldn't push it past 20 but two is no problem at all. Since your wireless router broadcasts through an omni-directional radiowave (2.3-2.5ghz) you can have more than one connection, along with it's ability to determine the difference between you connecting and her connecting as the modulation of said frequency is toned ever so slightly.

I hope I was able to help.

~Mod Edit: To remove reference to post that was split away~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 03 September 2007 - 11:54 AM.

Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users