Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2007 And Office 2003 With Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sreeram

Sreeram

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hi,

Recently I got a new laptop with Vista and Office 2007 pre-installed. Since I am new to Office 2007, I would like to install Office 2003 without disturbing Office 2007. Is it possible to do so?

Regards,

Sreeram :huh:
Where there is a will, there is a way

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

Sure is! Just uninstall whatever of Office 2007 is on there from START ORB > CONTROL PANEL > PROGRAMS > UNINSTALL A PROGRAM (organized view, not classic)

Choose Office 2007 (might say Trial, or Student and Teacher, etc etc etc)

When that's done, pop in your 2003 disc and go. You shouldn't have any problems with office 2003 running on vista.
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#3 Sreeram

Sreeram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:30 AM

Hi Johnathan,

Thanks for your reply :huh: . But I really don't want to uninstall Office 2007. Without uninstalling Office 2007, can I install 2003 on the same vista? I need to learn Office 2007 while I am working seriously on Office 2003.

Regards,

Sreeram :huh:

Sure is! Just uninstall whatever of Office 2007 is on there from START ORB > CONTROL PANEL > PROGRAMS > UNINSTALL A PROGRAM (organized view, not classic)

Choose Office 2007 (might say Trial, or Student and Teacher, etc etc etc)

When that's done, pop in your 2003 disc and go. You shouldn't have any problems with office 2003 running on vista.

#4 ICON

ICON

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

ya its possible, i had to do it for school purposes and it works you can install both fine.

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

Hi Sreeram,

Microsoft warns that if you want to use multiple versions of Office on the same computer, you need to install them in a certain order (basically, "oldest first"):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091

I'm using Office 2003 and Office 2007 on the same XP Pro machine, but Office 2003 was installed first, then Office 2007 after that.

Also, the only irritating side effect that I've seen with Word 2003 and Word 2007 on the same machine is that Word will "reconfigure itself" (seems to take 1 or 2 minutes) when you switch from using Word 2003 to using Word 2007, and vice versa. In the article above, Microsoft provides a Registry edit to bypass this reconfiguration (auto-registration), but also warns that you probably don't want to do it:

"You can bypass the auto-registration. This enables Word 2007 to start faster. However, we do not recommend this because Word may not function correctly if it cannot auto-register itself."

Also note that, as stated in that Microsoft article, you can have only one version of Outlook installed.

Note that all of the above caveats apply to my experience on a Windows XP Pro system. I'm not sure if there are any other considerations when installing multiple version of Office on Vista.

Edited by M..., 08 September 2007 - 11:12 AM.

#6 Sreeram

Sreeram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:54 AM

Thanks buddy...now I came to know. Thanks once again :huh:

Hi Sreeram,

Microsoft warns that if you want to use multiple versions of Office on the same computer, you need to install them in a certain order (basically, "oldest first"):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091

I'm using Office 2003 and Office 2007 on the same XP Pro machine, but Office 2003 was installed first, then Office 2007 after that.

Also, the only irritating side effect that I've seen with Word 2003 and Word 2007 on the same machine is that Word will "reconfigure itself" (seems to take 1 or 2 minutes) when you switch from using Word 2003 to using Word 2007, and vice versa. In the article above, Microsoft provides a Registry edit to bypass this reconfiguration (auto-registration), but also warns that you probably don't want to do it:

"You can bypass the auto-registration. This enables Word 2007 to start faster. However, we do not recommend this because Word may not function correctly if it cannot auto-register itself."

Also note that, as stated in that Microsoft article, you can have only one version of Outlook installed.

Note that all of the above caveats apply to my experience on a Windows XP Pro system. I'm not sure if there are any other considerations when installing multiple version of Office on Vista.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users