Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Often Crashes When I Attempt To Move A Folder.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dwoog34

dwoog34

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:35 AM

Hi all. I read the pinned introductory material and conducted several searches, but I couldn't find anything that seems to match my problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I want to thank you for your time.

The problem is that fairly frequently - particularly with folders over 5 megabytes in size - when I try to move a folder into another folder the system will automatically reboot. For example, many times if I try to move "folder A" into "folder B" it will crash the system. It just happened a few minutes ago and the folder in I was moving was only 10 megabytes in size. Of course, I can copy and paste the folders in question, but I'd rather be able to simply drag them to the appropriate location. There is no error message. The system simply reboots. It doesn't do it EVERY time - although with really large files it invariably will. I can't discern any common denominator between the folders in question. Some are Word documents, some are photos and PDFs, etc. I know some Vista users are having this problem as well.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 Home Edition on a Hewlett Packard Pavilion a1410y desktop. I'm using Zone Alarm's free firewall and Avast free antivirus. Specs for the PC are as follows (the best I could dig them up):

- Intel® Celeron® D 352 (3.2GHz, 533MHz FSB)

- Memory: 1.43 Gigs RAM

- 80GB 7200 rpm Ultra DMA Hard Drive

- 48x max. CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive (48x32x16x48x)

- 2 USB, front audio ports

-Video Card: ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series

- Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress HyperMemory

- Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:44 AM

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dwoog34

dwoog34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:50 AM

Thank you, Budapest. I'll see if I can recreate the problem and post it here.

#4 dwoog34

dwoog34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

O.k., the problem is unfortunately easy enough to recreate. The error message says something about a "Bad Pool Header" and then lists the following numbers:

0X00000019

0X00000020

0X88718000

0X88717A00

0X0B400000

A quick Google search indicates it may have something to do with needing an updated driver of some kind. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:51 PM

Most of the Google searches refer to drivers or hardware. If you're moving large files and taxing your hard drive it might be the drive. Go to the website of the mfg. of your hard drive and download and run their diagnostic tool and see what it shows
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:12 AM

Error message here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x19

From what I've seen, first run a hard drive diagnostic (bootable) from the manufacturer of your hard drive (free).
Next, run MemTest (free here: http://www.memtest86.com/ ) from a bootable CD.

If both of them don't show any problems, then we can delve further into this (recreating the pagefile, updating drivers, etc)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hewlett Packard have the PC-Doctor Offline DOS Diagnostics tool to test for hardware problems. You can download it from here.

Under the Advanced Test Menu I recommend you run the following tests:

4- CPU and Memory Test: tests the Central Processing Unit and the Memory operation.

7- Long Hard Drive Test: tests the hard disk drive using full access checks.

I would also run the memtest86 memory test that usasma suggested.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users