Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Compress Or Not To Compress?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:01 AM

Hi,
What does this option do in my AOL browser settings? (I'm XPHome and PC-illiterate)

DO YOU WANT WEB GRAPHICS COMPRESSED?
1 - Always
2 - Never
3 - Only if no Broadband connection to AOL

I've always had it set on 3 and it seems to work well enough, but should I switch to 1 or 2 just to see what effect it has? Will it speed up my system or what? I don't want to do anything I might not be able to get out of..

Also while i'm here can I just throw out another totally separate question - just recently one of the gaming forums I use no longer displays my posts properly, there are little blank squares sprinkled throughout my text.
The site people suggest I try a "Western Europe" browser font setting but I can't find where the option is on my system, any ideas..?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description, and moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 03 September 2007 - 10:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

Well if you want your graphics to start looking like they died and came back, then yes, choose one or two. You'll be able to get out of it if you choose one or two, but it's up to you. I recommend having it at 3 just incase you need to pop on via dial-up.

In regards to your font setting:

In internet explorer head to: VIEW > ENCODING and choose WESTERN EUROPE or AUTO-SELECT. If you don't have a menu, right click on one of the toolbars and choose MENU BAR.

You should be good to go.
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users