Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Stay On

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geminijd

geminijd

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:56 PM

Well, not sure where to begin or if this is even related, oh well here it goes. I think my problem began the other day when I attempted to install new dsl modem from AT&T. (an upgrade from my old modem at their suggestion). Well, when I plugged in the modem and used disc that came with it, it ask me to shutdown pc with cd in drive. Upon restart my pc stop reading my HDD. After about 3 hrs of "tech assistance" they decided I should unplug it and restart my pc. After a couple of hard shutdowns and a system restore my pc was back. The following morning they sent a tech to check/install modem. He determined I needed an ethernet card. He said he configured everything, all i needed was to install card. I then purchased and installed card. Again pc stop reading HDD.

Frustrated and also eager to get a new HDD, I purchased a new Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KSRTL 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. I recently replaced my motherboard-ECS P4-4800/Core 2 duo 4300 processor. Mypc is an HP. I installed the HDD and attempted to install Windows Xp MCE but could not. On the first attempt I got as far as the screen to agree to the terms and the pc just shutdown. I tried a 2nd time, this time I didn't get that far, it shut itself off again. So, I unplugged everything from powerstrip and cut off powerstrip and uplugged it from the wall. I waited about ten minutes and powered everything back up. I then waited another 5 minutes and then plugged in the pc. This time I got as far as the screen to format/partition the HDD and it shut down again. I then left it alone because I didn't want to ruin anything. I actually replaced the old power supply with a new one (380w) when I replaced the mobo in may. (ecs p4-8000m). Would I need a more powerful one now that I'm replacing 40gb ide with a 250gb sata? Also, my 2 sata ports on my mobo are 1.5gb ports, whereas I'm assuming my hdd is 250gb/3.0gb, could that be a problem? But I just don't know what the problem is, does anyone have any idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:04 AM

Also, my 2 sata ports on my mobo are 1.5gb ports, whereas I'm assuming my hdd is 250gb/3.0gb, could that be a problem? But I just don't know what the problem is, does anyone have any idea?

I'm not sure of the other stuff, but I just replaced my SATA HDD and on the back of it is some pins with a jumper. There should be a diagram either on the HDD or in the install manual, telling you for 1.5 SATA you put the jumper on. Look in the manual or on the Drive to see, and place the jumper where it says. If the drive is 3.0, the drive will not operate unless you do. (At least, that's what I heard.)

edit.... I forgot something... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 03 September 2007 - 12:06 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:29 AM

The SATA drivers are installed, correct?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 geminijd

geminijd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

I only powered up the computer with the OS disc in it, so I don't know. The guy at Circuit City told me to install the hdd and then power it up with the Windows XP MCE disc in it. It has no operating system yet, can I still install the drivers for the hard drive? Would that make the computer just shut itself off?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:33 AM

The first thing I would do is to return the ECS board and get a different one. We have had ALLOT of problems on the forums with them. A board from MSI, Gigabyte, or Biostar should work better.

As for installing an OS on a SATA drive you will need to load the drivers before you can install the operating system. Boot your computer with the OS CD in the cdrom tray and begin installation when it ask you for additional Raid drivers ETC press F6 and insert the manufactures disk and install the SATA drivers Windows will now be able to see the drive and you can continue with the installation.

After you installed the components on the new motherboard, will it get past post (the screen with all the writing and memory test)? Did you remember to use new thermal paste on the CPU, Is the ram seated firmly?

Edit: To answer your question not having a HDD installed or installed properly will not cause the computer to shut off. It will tell you there inst one there and to enter the bios and find out why. Unless ECS does something weird, you should still be able to at least get into the bios menu stably.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 September 2007 - 10:35 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 geminijd

geminijd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:33 AM

I've actually had the mobo installed since May of this year, so I don't think I can return it. It was a mobo/pcu combo from fry's and at the time I didn't know if it was a poor brand. Well, the mobo was fine with the old IDE hdd to my knowledge. But if the processor is still good, can I remove it and put it on a better motherboard?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:35 AM

ECS is bad, but you should test with all drives disconnected to confirm

and please remember some sata drives have jumpers that have to be set when using sata 2 with sata 1 controllers

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users