Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clamxav?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

Anyone ever use this free anti virus? It seems to have mixed reviews. Since I have Mac OS X Tiger, (ClamXav dosen't seem to work well in Tiger) I probably won't install it. But it sure would be cool to have a free anti vir for the Mac. Anyone here use it? How would you rate it against others?

Edited by 12x48y, 02 September 2007 - 10:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:42 PM

I used the Linux version and it worked ok cant really complain about it. worked exactly like the Linux version of AVG.

Posted Image

#3 DoveFat

DoveFat

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

Hey there, 12x48y,
:thumbsup: I have run Clam XAV on both my Apples for a while now. It works fine on a G4 with updated Tiger and on a G3 with Jaguar.
It's pretty much an "on demand" virus scanner, nothing running in background. You must keep it updated. It's a little tricky to update the anti-virus engine but if done properly it works just fine.
Keep in mind, no new virus has been written for Mac OSX in many years. Don't let that factoid inflate your ego. The bad guys are still focused on Windows; for now. For now.

I ran several different anti-virus freeware back when I had a Windows desktop. I even ran the Windows version of Clam AV. Windows and Mac OSX are two very different creatures ( thank your favorite deity )and stuff that works O.K. on Mac may not work so well on the Bill Gates memorial rollerskates. Or on Linux and verse visa.

Give a try to Clam XAV, you might like the "folder sentry" feature. If you don't like it, trash it.

Much health and happiness to you and yours. :flowers:
[size=4][b][i][color=#000099]Much health and happiness to you and yours.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

I haven't used the Linux or OS X versions, but I've used it quite a bit as a Windows tech and it has very good detection abilities. There was recently an independent review of different AV engines for Linux, ClamAV was one of the best rated for virus detection. As has been mentioned it has no real-time component, you have to run it on demand. For OS X though, that's fine. The chances of you getting a virus on a Mac are low, the chances of you actually getting infected by something are even less--especially if you have a password on your account. But an AV scanner like wouldn't hurt to have for those who are security paranoid.
Posted Image

#5 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:38 AM

I'm more worried about passing maleware to my PC. I've taken both my PC's off line, and only connect with the Mac. So I'm looking for a good scanner to make sure I don't infect my PC's. (Or others) I'll give Clamxav a try. Thanks.

I have to install the Clamxav engine first, right?

Edited by 12x48y, 07 September 2007 - 05:42 AM.

#6 DoveFat

DoveFat

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:11 PM

I'm more worried about passing maleware to my PC. I've taken both my PC's off line, and only connect with the Mac. So I'm looking for a good scanner to make sure I don't infect my PC's. (Or others) I'll give Clamxav a try. Thanks.

I have to install the Clamxav engine first, right?

:flowers: That's right, 12x48y. Install the XAV engine first. You could download/ install the complete package at first download links at ClamXAV download page. Follow the install prompts once Stuff-It (or other expander) opens the .dmg file. Once installed, open main scanner to set your prefs and update virus definitions. If you set the "Folder Sentry" to open, it'll put an icon on your taskbar; no need to mount an icon in the dock.

Another point you sparked : I'm no expert on this but, malware written for PC may not install itself onto your PCs through your Mac. If your PCs have updated security software,( i.e. a good firewall, spyware hunters, anti-virus, and browser hijack protection) your PCs can surf the net as well as your Apple. All depends on your level of personal paranoia.
:thumbsup:
[size=4][b][i][color=#000099]Much health and happiness to you and yours.

#7 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:35 PM

Thanks Dovefat could you tell me what folder(s) I should have sentry watch? I've been all over the Clamxav forum, but I'm still not sure.

Other than that Clamxav seems to work well, as long as I use the Right click scan feature and scan folder by folder. Can't get it to do a full system scan.

As for the PC, I give up. I only go on-line with it, to upgrade my scanners, and do a windows update. Once a month. On the last scan 9-12-07, SAS found a trojan downloaderGeneric/suspisious or something like that.

So, no more internet for Mr. PC. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users