Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built In Software For External Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Powertap

Powertap

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hello forum members. I am looking to buy a small, portable external hard drive, and I have a very elementary question. I have noticed that most of them come with their own backup, sync and encryption software already built in. Actually, I don't know whether the software is built in the drives or it is something installed from a CD or DVD. Nonetheless, I have already spent some time reading reviews on various backup software programs at the freeware review sites, and would like to be able to use a freeware backup software program that I have selected from reading these reviews. Will the common, portable external drives that are for sale today, Seagate Free Agent Go and Western Digital Passport for example, allow me to use a freeware backup software I choose instead of the built in backup software? Will I need to reformat the drive or something in order to use the outside software? I am guessing there is no problem using an outside backup software, but I have no idea because I have never used an external hard drive before. I have been getting by with backing up information to CDs. Thanks for your answer. :thumbsup:

Edited by Powertap, 02 September 2007 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Sense an external hard drive is just like a normal one, any backup software you want, even the one built into windows, should work. However, some special features like one-step backup might not be available, as they would be with the normal software.

#3 Powertap

Powertap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

Sense an external hard drive is just like a normal one, any backup software you want, even the one built into windows, should work. However, some special features like one-step backup might not be available, as they would be with the normal software.

Ok, thanks for the answer. I suppose I should try the software that is included with the external hard drive I end up buying and see how I like it. Does anyone here have any experience using the software included with WD Passport or Seagate FreeAgent Go? In addition, I am gathering from what I have read on these forums, that if I want to backup the operating system and program files, I may want to use an imaging program like Norton Ghost or Acronis rather than regular, incremental backup software. Is this correct? And can I back up both the operating system and my incremental, document backups to the same external hard drive, using different backup programs, as long as he hard drive is big enough? Initially I was expecting that I could buy an external hard drive and easily backup my entire internal hard drive weekly or on some frequent schedule, so that if the internal drive in my laptop ever crashed, I had a complete copy of the internal hard drive on an external hard drive, but perhaps this is not so easy or adviseable? Perhaps I should expect to backup the operating system and program files once with a program like Ghost, and then do the docs and other stuff incrementally with one of the programs that comes with the external disk?

Edited by Powertap, 03 September 2007 - 07:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users