Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 emjanson

emjanson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

Hey all,

I recently acquired a Dell Latitude C510/610 from my dad's work, and I am doing my best to update it to the current standards. In doing so, I upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro, but following the upgrade I thought it best to do a clean install of Windows XP, which I have done. Now, however, whenever I restart the computer, I am prompted to choose between two Operating Systems, the clean install of XP or the upgraded install of XP. How do I remove the upgrade? I have removed all documents and such that I do not wish to lose, but I do not know how to remove this unnecessary partition from my computer. Any suggestions?

Edited by emjanson, 02 September 2007 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:13 PM

Hi emjanson. It is probably best to reinstall XP again, but this time format the hard drive first. The XP install program can do this easily. This will wipe out all data from the hard drive. Reformat using the NTFS file system using the facilities in the XP installer.

If this PC happens to have more than one partition then reformat each one of them.

#3 A+ Certified Tech

A+ Certified Tech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:31 AM

Since you are using windows xp, there is a way to make that Operating system choices menu disappear!!! click on the start button, then right click on My Computer, click properties at the bottom of the list, then once the properties dialog box appears, click on the Advanced tab, then at the bottom of this menu where "startup and recover" is displayed, click on the settings button, then at the top below the dropdown list, uncheck, if needed, the "Time to display list of operating systems". after you uncheck that.. Restart the computer and you should no longer see the other operating system.just make sure that the one you want to boot up and load is selected in that drop down list. Ok!!!

#4 emjanson

emjanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:23 AM

Thank you for responses thus far...

In regard to A+ Tech, I certainly want to the computer to boot itself, it is a hassle choosing which OS. But ultimately i want to remove the other partition from the computer to clear up that hard drive space...

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

are you sure that's it's got another partition?

post your boot.ini file

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

don't change anything yet
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

It's a lot simpler to go to My Computer and look to see if there are two partitions, if you have more drives than you do physical devices then one is a second partition on that hdd. If you have one optical drive and one hdd and you see C, D, and E drives then you know that one of those is a second partition.

If this is a second partition the you can format over it and then use a utility like the one mentioned previously to regain the space, or you can leave it and use it to store special files.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users