Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Boot Up, Stops At Blue Windows Page

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnlamastra

johnlamastra

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

i was dowloading a free registry cleaner when my computer crashed. i shut my computer down. when i turned it back on, windows wouldn't boot up - it gets stuck at the blue windows xp page. i can't find the restore cd that came with the computer. i tried to press f8 during the booting process but it will not work. i have windows 2000 xp home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:46 PM

The "free registry cleaner" you downloaded might have been, and was probably a virus. Try looking REALLY really hard for the recovery disk, and if you still can't find it, then go to this site, and download the file from one of the website mirrors, and then use a program that can burn ISO files to CD-Rs, and burn the file to a disk. Boot the computer from the CD, and then use the program (it's LIKE windows, but isn't exactly like it, but it should see your hard drive) to back up your important files to CDs or a flash drive. They should be in /mnt/hda1/documents and settings/*insert your login name here*/my documents or /desktop.
After you're sure you got the files you need to keep, then you will need to get a new copy of windows and install it. Then just put your files back.

If you still can't get ahold of a windows CD, then you can just install the CD you burned as a temporary solution until you find one, or if you like PCLOS, then try Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.org) and use it as a permanent solution. Please note that Linux does NOT run windows apps outside of an emulator.

#3 A+ Certified Tech

A+ Certified Tech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:03 AM

Yes, i agree. Do you happen to remember the site that you were downloading the file from??

#4 johnlamastra

johnlamastra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:06 AM

i don't recall the site. thanks to both of you.

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hi johnlamastra.

What to Do When XP Won't Boot (or won't boot properly)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users