Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Trouble Connecting Through Wireless

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iwontremember

iwontremember

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:41 PM

Hi,

My internet connection has been doing strange things lately. I have no problem getting online through a wireless connection on my laptop at work, the library or at coffee shops, but I can no longer get it to work at home. I've been getting a couple of different messages. Sometimes it says the signal strength is good, but the status comes up as limited or no connectivity, sometimes i get signal strength: good, status: connected, but i still can't get online.

I've tried running Winsockxpfix and updating the drivers, but still no dice.

My computer is an Inspiron 6000 running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

I'm not very tech savy, and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:07 AM

I had the same problem on my laptop. I solved it by changing my IP to a static one. See instructions here. I checked them, and they seem pretty simple. You should have no problem following them.

#3 iwontremember

iwontremember
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

Thanks! I will try that... but how do I find the IP address, Subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers?

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:26 PM

Usually when you can connect to a wireless network but you get the "limited or no connectivity" error it's because you've connected to a secure network without the correct WEP or WPA key. Did someone else set up your wireless router, and did they set up encryption on it?
Posted Image

#5 iwontremember

iwontremember
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

yes, there is a security key and i'm sure i'm putting in the right one. my roommates can connect without a problem and i copy and pasted the key from them

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:28 PM

Just to cover the bases, try power cycling the router.
Also, do you know if MAC filtering is enabled?
Posted Image

#7 iwontremember

iwontremember
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

ok, i think i changed the connection to static. i found all the other information except for the DNS servers and put that in, but i'm still having the same problem: says it's connected and the signal is good but i can't get onto the internet.

... i'm not sure what power cycling or MAC filters are

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:32 PM

Power cycling means you briefly cut the power to the router and then turn it back on.
MAC filtering means that the router will only accept connections from computers that have registered their network adapters with the router.

To find all the information you need to set up a static IP, go to one of your roommate's computers and select Start > Run > CMD > and enter: ipconfig /all

You will likely need to change the last number of the IP address since you can't have two people using the same IP, but other than that the info should all be the same.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users