Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Plan To Purchase A Dell Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rvan801

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

I am a college student who is trying to find an affordable (under $1,200) laptop that features high-speed, wireless internet and modest processor speed. I do not take many pictures or download music; most of my work is done in Word or Powerpoint. Having said this, can someone tell me how this laptop's specs match up with my needs?

Ebay auction for a Dell Inspiron 1420
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250, 1.5GHz, 667Mhz, 2M L2 Cache
14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
160G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Integrated 2.0 mega pixel web cam
Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini Card
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem
Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0
Basic Black Matte LCD back color
1 Year Warranty
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 3000

If not appropiate, why? Would a Dell Latitude or some other model be better suited? I appreciate any feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

That PC setup should work fine for the simple stuff that you need to do, but if you want to do 3D gaming or video editing in the future, you'll want something with a better processor, and for the gaming a better video card.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:17 PM

That looks pretty good but I've never liked the insecurity of shopping on eBay. So just as a backup, there is a laptop made by Alienware called the M5550 and it is a nice computer starting at 1099. I hope whatever you choose you're happy with your choice good luck!
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 Rvan801

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

Hi again,

I've been looking beyond Dell the last few days, and came up with this HP Pavillion laptop:

14.1"-diagonal widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) BrightView LCD screen
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 operating at 1.80GHz, with Enhanced Virus Protection†
1MB (512KB+512KB) L2 cache
Up to 1600MHz frontside bus
2.0GB of DDR2 SDRAM memory (2 x 1.0GB)
120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive
Lightscruise SuperMulti DVD drive with Double Layer support
ExpressCard slot: supports ExpressCard/54 and ExpressCard/34
802.11a/b/g wireless LAN
10/100Base-T Ethernet network port
56K V.90 modem
3 USB 2.0 ports
1 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port
1 S-video out port
1 notebook expansion port 3
Built-in 1.3-megapixel Webcam with omnidirectional microphone, for video chat and still photos
5-in-1 memory card reader: reads SD, MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro and xD-Picture Card
nVidia GeForce Go 6150 graphics with up to 559MB of shared memory

How does this one compare with the Dell laptop above? If I'm interested in wireless internet speed, which statistics should I be comparing? In general, is it worthwile buying cheaper brands (the one above is only $600). Again, I thank whoever responds.

#5 arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

Between the two laptops you've posted, there won't be much difference in terms of wireless internet browsing. The wireless N specification is technically faster than the wireless a/b/g spec, but the common wireless G standard will already have more bandwidth than your ISP is going to give you.

Wireless G is 54Mbps (megabits per second), and you won't commonly find an ISP that gives you higher than 10-15Mbps. In other words your wireless connection won't be your bottleneck.

Both come with 2GB of RAM and modern processors, I don't think either one would have any trouble running WinXP or Vista very comfortably.
Posted Image

#6 Thunderer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:30 AM

Hi, based on my experiacne, I would go for a Dell, eventhough they are abit more expensive to buy, they are very profesionally built and there software and hardware are over the top. They also do offer a good after-sales service and there support team is very nice and understandable. With regards to the HP, I would not go fot that for the simple reason that if you opt to choose a Vista, HP does not run Vista that good because the battery would run flat in a very short period of time, and you would not get the full output from the battery.

Hope this is a help to you.

#7 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

I'd stay away from the cheaper laptops - every one that I've bought has had assorted problems. I attribute these issues to the attempt to get a cheap laptop on the market - so it won't stand up well to "average" use.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users