Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive not booting at startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:47 AM

Ok here's my problem. The PC I just built will NOT boot on startup. YES, I do have it set as 1st boot device, and IDE Cable is Primary to HDD, and Secondary to CD. Still PC will only boot from Windows CD. From there it works fine. What am I doing wrong? Someone PLEASE help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:46 PM

Did you set your jumpers on the HDD?? . Is the power cable plugged in properly?
Did you plug the ATA cable in the right way? (following the red line)

...Just some things to consider

#3 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:44 AM

Yes, everything is plugged in the right way. After experimenting more yesterday, the HDD is only recognized by MOBO in BIOS if it is the secondary plug on the ATA cable...not the primary; and if 1st boot device is CD. This is a jumper issue correct? What if I ran two ATA cables, making the HDD Primary on ATA controller 1, and the CD drive the Primary on ATA 2? Aren't jumpers set as primary device by defauly at the factory?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:49 PM

In a normal setup the HDD is connected to IDE1 and the CD drive is on its own cable connected to IDE2. In that case both drives would have the jumper set to master. After you do this you will need to go into the bios and auto detect the hard drives. Put them both at the end of the cable.

The reason they are set up this way is to make the transfer of data between the two devices the most efficient.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 CoDLunaCh!ck

CoDLunaCh!ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

Thank you, it worked! I also found a cd to partition the drive. So thanks to both of you for your help!

#6 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:06 PM

No Prob, welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users