Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Log In

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 SublimelyOblivious

SublimelyOblivious

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

I am having problems with a hp laptop brought home from a public school.
My father in law is a teacher and was given a used laptop from his school for use at home.
He contacted the previous user to find her password but it does not work.
I googled the subject but without sending info abroad no way to get by it.
I have tried booting into safe mode with command prompt but it doesn't allow me to use the command prompt.
Also admin is not a default blank password and the guest option has been disabled.
There has obviously been a decent attempt at improving school computer security, because I can't hack in and I always did in High School.
If anyone knows how to log in just once, long enough to set my Father in law his own user name and password and an administrator.
I have tried everything except downloading a registry editor, which I would have a hard time installing from the windows screen.
I don't want to do anything crazy, that will make it easy to be hacked when online.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

You should just be able to boot into safe mode by the F8 method and then selct administrator and then got to control panel and delete the other account/make a new one!

DC

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:22 PM

I am having problems with a hp laptop brought home from a public school.
My father in law is a teacher and was given a used laptop from his school for use at home.
He contacted the previous user to find her password but it does not work.
I googled the subject but without sending info abroad no way to get by it.
I have tried booting into safe mode with command prompt but it doesn't allow me to use the command prompt.
Also admin is not a default blank password and the guest option has been disabled.
There has obviously been a decent attempt at improving school computer security, because I can't hack in and I always did in High School.
If anyone knows how to log in just once, long enough to set my Father in law his own user name and password and an administrator.
I have tried everything except downloading a registry editor, which I would have a hard time installing from the windows screen.
I don't want to do anything crazy, that will make it easy to be hacked when online.

You're basically asking for a way to bypass the Administrator password, there are ways to do it but we can't help you in bypassing that security per the forum rules.

If you can't find your way past it, I would restore the machine with the HP disks that came with it. If the school screwed you over and didn't give you the disks you may be able to order them from HP, or if you have a vanilla XP OEM install CD that matches the Home or Professional sticker attached to the unit, then you can use that and download the drivers from HP's support site. Using the HP disks would be the easiest solution, they cost twenty or thirty bucks if you don't have them.

You should just be able to boot into safe mode by the F8 method and then selct administrator and then got to control panel and delete the other account/make a new one!

DC

No chance of that working when the admin password is set and you don't know what it is.
Posted Image

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:42 PM

It is against the policy of Bleeping Computer to provide information on methods to reset or bypass the Administrator password.

Though the question is most likely legitimate, there are others who may read this topic and use the information for less purposeful reasons.
It is for these reasons we do not provide this type of information.

Bleeping Computer Board Rules

TMacK

This topic is closed.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users