Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dededina

Dededina

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:09 AM

Hope this is the place to put this. Would like to know if installing more memory in an older computer will help it run faster? I run programs in the background that help me make a few bucks a month, so I leave the puter on all nite. Someone said that run installing more memory will help it run faster, not the program DUH, but the system. Sure appreciate your help.
Have a great day!!!!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 P3-450

P3-450

Malware Destroyer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:16 AM

Hi

What operating system do you use?

What are your system specs? ( including how much RAM you have in now)
Posted Image
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Sir Winston Churchill

#3 Dededina

Dededina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:29 AM

Okay, here goes, I hope. Currently using ME, have 128 mb's memory, puter running at 450 mhz.
I bought it used about a year ago, not sure how long the lady had it before then. Will be totally formatting hard drive soon & putting XPPro in it. Put in a 30 gig hard drive, plus dvd/rw/cd/rw
Hope that helps.
Posted Image

#4 P3-450

P3-450

Malware Destroyer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:37 AM

Another 256meg will help, I ran Windows 98 on a 450mhz using 256mb and it went ok.

But if you are gonna install XP then you definetly need more ram. I recommend 512mb, but 256mb should be the minimum you should have.
Posted Image
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Sir Winston Churchill

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:55 PM

One thing about adding RAM in your computer, is that you have to find ones that will work. This can be a little difficult to find on your own, so I recommend you take these steps:

Go to crucial.com and follow the three steps. It will walk you through your computer make, and model and also ask if it is a laptop or desktop. When finished, it will show you the different memory configurations that your computer can use. In my example, it showed me that I can use 128MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB sticks; speed DDR PC2100; type 184-pin DIMM. I can take this information to a local store and look for RAM that is 184-pin DIMM DDR PC2100 and then find the amount that I want.

You may also want to take in consideration how many slots that you have available.
One of the easiest ways to do this is to open your computer case up and physically see how many sticks of RAM that you currently have.
If you prefer not to go that route and want an application to tell you, feel free to d/l Everest Home. This program will tell you everything that you need to know about your computer, and a report can even be printed out for future reference.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 Dededina

Dededina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:01 PM

Thank you JE, checked out both sites, bookmarked them cause I have a few things to get done. That was very helpful. You all are really the bomb in here :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:10 PM

You are very welcome on the help.

I love the unicorn by the way!! :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users