Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinMX and Zone Alarm: A Perfect Match?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jus78

jus78

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:35 PM

If I am using WinMX as my file sharing program and am running Zone Alarm as my firewall what settings should I consider so that my WinMX experience is optimized and my security isn't compromised? When installing WINMX it prompts you to choose whether or not you will allow connections to your computer and then chooses a TCP connection for you if you choose to allow connections to share your files. I'm a proficient computer user but not saavy so a lot of the terminology (UDP packets, TCP/IP ports, etc.) goes over my head. I select my settings more out of instinct than anything else but wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Zone Alarm asked me once while using WinMX if I would allow the local security authority service (lsass.exe) access to my computer. I denied it but wonder if using WinMX leaves me vulnerable to attacks as my ports are open, so to speak. Any help is much appreciated; hopefully you can understand my message. Thanks.

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:39 PM

Unless you specify that Zone Alarm should allow connections to your computer on the ports that WinMX uses, then they will not be open and available to the Internet.

Even though you may have specified you would like to share files with other users with WinMX, if the firewall is not configured for it, it will not work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users