Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Load Windows...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 j_me05

j_me05

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:54 AM

Hello, first time poster, long time reader here.

Well, I'll try to give a detailed description of what happened leading up to my problem, so here goes:

Since it was the first Saturday in College Football Season I figured I'd sit at my computer and do some maintenance while the games were on, so I did Search and Destroy, Disk Defrag and Disk cleanup while watching some of the games.

A while after that was done, I logged onto world of warcraft, and noticed that my user interface was a little messed up, so I exited that program to take me back to my desktop.

I then went to S&D and restored the previous things I had quarentined, in case that was the problem.
After I did this and started WoW again, the problem had not been fixed, but when I exited WoW this time, my desktop had changed the resolution to make all of my icons much larger than they previously were.

At this point, I decide to go ahead and just close my programs and restart my computer.

When I restart, it sends me to the black screen that asks me if I would like to start windows in safe mode, safe mode w. networking, last configuration which successfully started windows, etc.

I chose the "last successful configuration" option, and then got the windows logo and loading bar.

After several seconds of this, my computer screen turns completely black and nothing is going on.
(the "thinking" light that flickers when the computer is doing something was not lighting up)

I waited for a while, and tried to restart again, but this time in Safe Mode, and alas, got the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Let me know if more information is needed, and I'll do my best to let you know what I can.

Thank you for your time,
Jayme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:29 AM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Am I right in thinking by your description, that you are unable to get into safe mode to enable you to do a system restore ?

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 j_me05

j_me05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

That is correct.

#4 championvette

championvette

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:04 AM

Hi, I am actually having the same problem! At first I replaced the power supply because the computer kept shuttin off by itself.. now it stays on but it just sits at the "WINDOWS xp" loading screen... i left it there for an hour and it still didnt go anywhere. on the other hand, it WILL load in safe mode.. for some reason... but not in the.... regular.. mode. any ideas?

#5 j_me05

j_me05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

Hi, I am actually having the same problem! At first I replaced the power supply because the computer kept shuttin off by itself.. now it stays on but it just sits at the "WINDOWS xp" loading screen... i left it there for an hour and it still didnt go anywhere. on the other hand, it WILL load in safe mode.. for some reason... but not in the.... regular.. mode. any ideas?

Sounds like our problem is in fact, not the same then.

My computer goes past the Windows loading screen, but then goes completely black.

It also will not load in Safe Mode either :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

Hi championvette! Since the problems aren't the same (they very rarely are identical even with identical computers) - could you please post your problem in a new topic so that you both can get the attention that your issues deserve?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 j_me05

j_me05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

Well, I'm getting kinda desperate, as I have to have a computer for school and homework assignments ( and let my fiance use hers, as she has more homework than I) and am now considering reinstalling Windows XP entirely, as I don't have anything on the computer that I abolutely must keep.

Will choosing a fresh installation on the recovery CD do what I need it to do, or will I not have moniter drivers so that I can see my screen?

Thanks

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:48 AM

It depends upon the make and model of your computer. The monitor will still be visible using the default Windows monitor drivers - but you may wish to download new drivers for it if you make use of any of it's advanced functions.

Generally, a fresh installation from a recovery CD will fix any software problems. But, depending on the construction of the recovery CD, it may leave you without drivers for your hardware devices (video, network, sound, etc). Is your recovery CD a "genuine Windows" CD - or is it a recovery CD from the manufacturer of the PC? (the genuine Windows one won't have the drivers, where the manufacturer's CD should have the drivers (some, like Dell, have separate CD's with the drivers on them)).

Oh, and don't forget the time you'll have to sit through all the Windows Updates, and the time that you'll spend installing and configuring your "essential" applications.

Finally, all this is based upon the assumption that there isn't a hardware problem with your system (because you can see early screens without an error message). But, if it's a hardware problem, then all the software fixes in the world won't help it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users