Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Made This Little Page

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:42 AM

I have dialup.

And I'm sick of people sending me stuff that I can't view.

Because of the dialup.

So I made this little page.

You're welcome to use it if you like. It's in the style as justbleepinggoogleit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:03 AM

Lol, cool. And may you get high-speed internet so that you may enjoy the joys of the internet.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:20 AM

I live in a rural area where verizon owns the phone lines and because of the small population of just under two thousand people here they won't activate DSL here. This leaves us with the option of sticking with a dialup connection or a very expensive satellite system. I average 26.4 kbps, we're are one step above a pair of tin cans and a piece of string.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:24 AM

I live in a rural area where verizon owns the phone lines and because of the small population of just under two thousand people here they won't activate DSL here. This leaves us with the option of sticking with a dialup connection or a very expensive satellite system. I average 26.4 kbps, we're are one step above a pair of tin cans and a piece of string.

We also live in a rural area where satellite DSL is the only hi-speed option because all the lines for Cable are on the other side of the street (I'm dead serious - our neighbors directly across the street from us have 10mbps service!) :thumbsup:

#5 YuMax

YuMax

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:58 AM

:thumbsup: nice page. I even can't imagine my today's life without fast Internet. Hope you'll get it soon!
"If you would understand anything,
observe its beginning and its development. (Aristotle)

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

I went from dial up to dsl just last week I think. So its been like 2 weeks. I was getting 42kbps and now I get 384-390kbps(paying for 384kbps).

Its sorta expensive at 30.00 bucks a month with a 2 year agreement but its 21.00 for dial up so....

P.S.

I know how you feel about friends telling you about videos.

When I was on dial up my mom has this friend who seems to be a dipstick that wont listen.

First she uploaded 10 full length copywritten songs that she liked and sent it to a lot of us. Now as each song is like 3mb or more think of how long that would
clog my email up! Luckily for her the attempt failed and she did not send the songs but just the titles. I sent her a warning and a message to never send big files to our address because we are on dial up.

So just today, its been 4 months ago that that happened she sends over 20 pictures she liked. Now if I had been on dial up that would have been the last straw with her and friend or no friend she would get banned from the server(contact my ISP and ask them to block her somehow probably is what I would have done).

Luckily we have dsl but it still took like 4 minutes.

Best thing to do is be nice and simply tell friends that "Hey I have dial up don't send any pictures,videos or anything by email. Send a DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY.

We also have other friends who want to send 6mb videos by email from work with those super fast dsl connections. Usually a simple message to them about it works for me if not like one of my moms friends who does not listen you may have to block them or bounce messages back to them.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 07 September 2007 - 07:26 PM.

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

I remember the joys of tin cans and string. :thumbsup:

I didn't use a high speed connection until I went to community college...I'd get super fast T1 at the school, then come home to my tin cans...I think I got whiplash.... :flowers:

My parents eventually got DSL...we don't want a cable modem, because it costs more, and the local cable market is owned by one company, so the service stinks.

I feel your pain at getting sent random stuff that eats up bandwith...I didn't want to wait an hour-and-a-half to download one video!! :trumpet:

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:21 PM

I remember those days (and hopefully will soon be going back to them, starts singing the theme to "Green Acres").

Posted Image

#9 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

OC-3072 is what you should wait for :thumbsup:

Now thats the next step after dial-up ;)

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:05 AM

Ugh...

I remember dial-up. I used to play Star Trek: Armada online via dial-up. I'm amazed that the friggin phone line didn't just melt out of the wall.

What's worse, I remember when I had no internet at all!!!

"I cried because I had no bandwidth, until I met a man who had no modem."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users