Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Problem Won't Let My Antivirus Complete Scan.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shellnick

shellnick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:20 AM

Hi I'm new around here, and this seems like a great site. Hoping someone may be able to help me.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition with Norton Antivirus 2007. I have been unable to complete a full system scan for several weeks now.

With the help of Symantec online support, I have used the Norton removal tool, reinstalled my antivirus & run Intelligent Updater, which says my antivirus is completely up to date. I ran the full system scan in Safe Mode & it completed!! Only found 1 cookie, nothing major.

Then I restarted the computer & tried to run a full system scan. No luck!!

I have used Windows Live OneCare safety scanner & it apparently fixed some problems.

After spending many hours on this problem I am beginning to think there may be a system error that my antivirus gets to, then can't go any further.

This is the spot it stops at "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{0B1DF4A9-C114-48A2-BE0A-6DC5973EB157}\1.0\0\win32->".

Would anyone have any idea?? I am going mental!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:37 AM

Upon searching for {0B1DF4A9-C114-48A2-BE0A-6DC5973EB157} I found out that CLSID is classified as Adware.IEHelper.A by TrendMicro. it is a low-threat distructive program... I would suggest deleting it, but not before backing up your registry and creating a restore point.

Are you having any problems with Internet Explorer by any chance? It looks like Adware.IEHelper.A registers itself into BHO.dll as a BHO for IE.
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#3 shellnick

shellnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:34 AM

Hi, thanks for that.

As a matter of fact, I have been having a little trouble with Internet Explorer, in that it freezes or hangs for say 10-20 seconds after displaying a new page. If I click anywhere on the page it says "not responding", but if I wait the 10-20 seconds it's ok.

So, I should back up my registry, create a restore point & delete that particular file? I have searched my hard drive for the file & it is in my I386 system files. Should I try searching the hard drive for Adware.IEHelper.A as well?

I am a novice at this, but finding over the years, the more I search the internet, ask advice, I am learning so much!!

Thanks again,
shellnick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users