Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extended Partitions In Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paabrown

paabrown

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:35 PM

On a new computer with a 120gb HDD the Vista Home Basic installation was in 3 Partitions, OEM (1gb) - Primary including the OS (34gb) 'C' Drive - Primary Partition (77gb) 'D' Drive. With diskpart I have selected disk '0' from 'list disk' using 'select' command, then the 'extend' to to have a single partition for the whole drive. List Disk is now showing 'Disk 0 112gb'. Under 'List Partition' it is still showing 3 partitions - Partition 1 OEM (1gb) - Partition 2 Primary (34gb) - Partition 3 Primary (77gb). How do I extend Partition 2 to include Partition 3 in a single partition? The file system on both partitions 2 & 3 is NTFS. Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:43 AM

I personally would recommend leaving them alone. My machine is divided as well into three, but for a reason. "disk 0" in question is your first partition (OEM).

Did you restart your computer by any chance after this? If your MBR and all that is being used, you really can't change any of that stuff, as your system will break.

Is there a reason as to why you want to mesh your partitions together?
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:53 AM

You can't change partitions that are in use by Windows - it won't let you do this without a reboot.

Recently I've noticed a lot of OEM's placing a small partition at the beginning of the hard drive - I presume it's for boot purposes (and their special tools). Along with this will be an OS partition and a recovery partition.

Messing with the initial small partition may cause your system not to boot - and may break any of the programs that are installed them.
Messing with the OS partition generally won't cause any problems as long as you're expanding it - shrinking it can cause issues tho'
Messing with the recovery partition can make your system non-recoverable in the event of a disaster - not (IMO) a good thing to do.

What's the make and model of your laptop so we can figger out which is which?
With the price of external hard drives being fairly inexpensive, I'd suggest leaving things as they are and using an external drive to store the extra stuff. I currently have Vista Ultimate installed on an 80 gB laptop and still have plenty of room on it (I don't do music or movies tho').
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 A+ Certified Tech

A+ Certified Tech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:07 AM

If any of the partitions that you are wanting to join or merge are set as "active", then you willn't be able to perform the task of bringing them together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users