Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virs/spyware? Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TGSimonJr

TGSimonJr

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

When my father was checking his email, the computer started going crazzy. Pop-ups asking me to install programs like UltimateDefender and other various spyware or virus removal programs keep popping-up. Fake window's messages also tell me that my computer is infected and I must pay for a program to fix it. This program changes each time. Also, it often changes my desktop to a red images that says "Your privacy is in danger, download privacy protection program now".

I have AVG Anit-Spyware and Anti-Vrus free version, Ad-Aware 2007 Free, Sky-Bot, Window's Defender, and Window's Washer. I have ran each of these multiples of times and still the problem continues.

Please help me stop these pop-up adds.

Edited by TGSimonJr, 01 September 2007 - 10:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:13 AM

Hello TGSimonJr,

First download RogueRemover and save to your Desktop. (compatible with Windows 2000, NT, XP, Vista)

* Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover.
* During the installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
* Double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch the program and select Check for Updates.
* If prompted, click Download to receive the latest updates.
* When completed, close the update window.
* Select "Scan" and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.

If you are still having problems, please follow the instructions for How to remove Ultimate Defender.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 TGSimonJr

TGSimonJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:18 AM

Thanks.

After looking through old post while waiting for a reply, I found a topic that a person posted with the same problem as me. I did everything that topic said to do and my computer is now 100% better now. Thanks!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

I'm glad to hear the problem is resolved TGSimonJr.

However, you need to be careful when following specific instructions provided to someone else. Instructions given to victims, especially in the HJT forum, have been posted by a forum staff expert to fix that particular members problems, NOT YOURS. Using someone else's fix instructions could lead to serious problems with your operating system.

If you have problems again, I strongly recommend you ask before doing something like that again.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".
"Seven ways to keep your search history private".

Stay safe.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users