Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Methost

Methost

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

Today, my 6600GT died. I turned on my PC and got the motherboards voice warning that I had an AGP error. I checked and sure enough, my GPU was dead. So I went and got a new 8500GT and installed it. Now the voice warning is gone, but my pc does an infinite reboot. It just shows that my new GPU is 512mb, then shows the motherboard splash screen for about half a second .. then restarts. I cant even get in to BIOS or safe mode. Now I guess my options are to return the video card in hopes that I just got a bad one or try a new power supply. I have a 450w and the card calls for a 300w ... so I should be good there. I guess there could be a motherboard problem as well. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Asus A8N SLI Delux
AMD 3500
2 gb ram
450w Ultra PSU
Windows XP

Edited by Methost, 01 September 2007 - 08:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 i have no name

i have no name

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:33 PM

Ok, did you check to make sure that your motherboard supports pci express because if you were using a agp graphics card port it may not have a pci-e slot as most newer cards like the 8 series use pci-e
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:15 AM

Hi Methost, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

How are you trying to access the BIOS? If you are getting past the POST you should be able to access the BIOS.

Edited by dc3, 02 September 2007 - 12:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Methost

Methost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, its a pci-e motherboard.

@ dc3 - I'm holding down the DEL key as instructed by the Motherboard splash screen that I can see for about .02 seconds before reboot.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:42 AM

Did you check and see if the card needs an aditional power connector on the top of the card?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users