Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Version Of Adaware

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hi

I recently downloaded and installed the most recent version of Adaware (2007). I have found this version to be more complicated than necessary with menus and graphics, while running it appears to be hogging more resources than ever before and it has also come bundled with Ad-Watch which I can't use.

I didn't have any of these problems with the older more sleaker version Adaware SE Personal 1.06. I just wanted to ask if my views on this are accurate. Also is it advisable to revert back to the older version? Will it continue to be supported - update files will still be compatible with the older version?

Thanks in advance.

~Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 02 September 2007 - 12:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:49 AM

I haven't had any problems with AA2k7.

How much ram do you have and what proc do you have? I personally have a dual 2.2ghz and 2gb ram, so maybe i don't notice it.

On my machine, I'm getting a 28mb ram usage footprint in standby mode, and scanning, no change. Are you a 512mb rammer by any chance?

Are you on 2000,xp or vista?
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#3 Maabsta

Maabsta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

I just recently went back to SE because of the random things that 2007 added that I have no use for. It definitely uses more resources and installs things that you cannot use without paying so I would go back to SE until they no longer support it or like other users suggest use AVG Antispyware and/or SuperAntiSpyware.

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

J Lyman - Im on an old Athlon 64 3400 with only 512 RAM which is why its precious

Maabsta - That's exactly the issue I'm wondering about. I like the program just not this version so I may do the same as you. Any idea on how long they will support it?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

You may want to read the recent discussion we had here.

Edited by quietman7, 02 September 2007 - 03:11 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for that link quietman, gave me all the information I needed. I've reverted back to SE Personal and I think its so much more streamlined for free service users. Let's hope they continue support for it.

Thanks for the help guys. Out of interest has anyone else reverted back for any reason?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

Your welcome.

I never upgraded to begin with so I had no need to revert. And since I started using SUPERAntispyware, I seldom use the old SE version.

#8 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

Overall in the community, AdAware has always been king, especially in the last few years as is my understanding. How is SUPERAntispyware different and where is it better than AdAware?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

In my experience with malware removal, I have found that SUPERAntispyware will find and remove more malware that other scanners miss. That includes Ad-aware.

#10 Maabsta

Maabsta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:20 PM

Another thing that I just realized after I went back to SE is that when I leave my computer on for a long period of time the amount of available ram would go down and stay down until I restarted my computer. Since I reverted back though much less ram is taken when my computer stays on. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this resource change. Also when I download something from Firefox that takes maybe 20 minutes it would always randomly stop before completing. I am wondering if changing back to SE will effect this. Any thoughts?

#11 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:24 AM

I have also just uninstalled it today. It never found any more or less than AVG, SpyBot S&D or SuperAntispyware all of which I use on a rota basis. What finally did it for me though was the fact that it attached the little gold/green icon to my task bar and even though I deleted it using AutoRuns it would come back every time I rebooted my PC.

Although I still have Superantispyware installed and I think it is a good program. I don't like the fact that after every scan it has to reboot my PC. I wouldn't mind this for a virus or other malware but not for two cookies.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#12 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:22 PM

Ad-Aware is probably the most popular antispyware program, isn't it?

It's maybe the most popular?

#13 Pepe Marsillo

Pepe Marsillo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:58 PM

My OS is Windows ME and I cant run Ad aware 2007, So im stuck running Ad Aware SE personal, now dont get me wrong I love it as long as I have used a computer I have been loyal to ad aware. Here is my problem I cannot update my adaware I keep getting an error message if anyone can help me out it would be greatly apreciated.

#14 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

Ad-Aware SE is going to expire on Dec. 31.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

Until it expires, you can manually download updates from here and unzip them into the Ad-Aware folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users