Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kids Computer Is Soooo Slow. Have Run Avs, Adaware, Etc..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jshepwnc

jshepwnc

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

You all have helped me with one computer, now the kids computer is slowed to a crawl, and pop-ups won;t stop.
Can you help?

Thanks,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:50 AM

Hello there and welcome to BleepingComputer.
Since you specifically mention pop-ups, it is quite likely that the slowdown is being caused by malware, but there are a whole host of other reasons that could be to blame alongside this.
Please follow our Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting a HijackThis Log; running all of the scans before posting your HijackThis log. Do not post your log here, but instead use our HijackThis Log and Analysis Forum.
After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer except those that are advised by a member of the HijackThis Team; doing so can cause system changes that may not be visible in your log. Please be patient whilst waiting for a response, our HJT Team is currently very busy, and as we try to deal with logs on a "first come first served" basis, you may have to wait a short while for a response.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:43 AM

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

You need to start there first. If you don't have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and at least scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. In #4 there is a list of several free online anti-virus scans which you can perform. I would also recommend that you download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free in "SAFE MODE".

If your not finding malware and the computer still seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jshepwnc

jshepwnc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

Hello there and welcome to BleepingComputer.
Since you specifically mention pop-ups, it is quite likely that the slowdown is being caused by malware, but there are a whole host of other reasons that could be to blame alongside this.
Please follow our Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting a HijackThis Log; running all of the scans before posting your HijackThis log. Do not post your log here, but instead use our HijackThis Log and Analysis Forum.
After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer except those that are advised by a member of the HijackThis Team; doing so can cause system changes that may not be visible in your log. Please be patient whilst waiting for a response, our HJT Team is currently very busy, and as we try to deal with logs on a "first come first served" basis, you may have to wait a short while for a response.

Thank you for your advice.

I have followed all of the steps on your preparation guide.
I will post my hijackthislog in the proper forum

Thanks again!

#5 jshepwnc

jshepwnc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:24 AM

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

You need to start there first. If you don't have any anti-virus or anti-malware programs see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and at least scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. In #4 there is a list of several free online anti-virus scans which you can perform. I would also recommend that you download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free in "SAFE MODE".

If your not finding malware and the computer still seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

I am running Windows XP sp2.
I have now followed the preparation guide, but I will run Ad-aware & Spybot in safe mode as you suggest.

After that will it be ok to post the hijackthislog in the right forum?

Thanks,
John

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

Have you also read Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware?

If so, post your Hijack log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users