Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd Drivers Will Not Load At Startup, Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 papa56k

papa56k

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

I came back from vacation, opened my laptop, and clicked on my computer. Only the "c" drive showed up. There was no icon for my CD/DVD drive. Put a CD in and nothing happened. Went to device manager and it said This device cannot start (code 10). I called Toshiba since my note is new and he had me go thru the regisrty editor and delete an upper filter, whatever that is. I restarted and everything was fine. It worked.
Next day, no CD/DVD icon in my computer. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Benny Bolas

Benny Bolas

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

Does your laptop include one of those horrendous manufacturer-created "recovery partitions"? Because manufacturers are so cheap, nowadays, many of them don't include any physical media with the PC. Rather, they create a proprietary image of what used to be an actual "recovery CD/DVD" and save it to an "invisible" partition, usually situated immediately before what Windows marks the C: drive.

I'm not sure that it's relevant; I'm just curious. I have had problems with drives/letter assignments due to these manufacturer-supplied recovery partitions.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:54 AM

Toshiba's come with an image based recovery DVD - it simply reimages your hard drive when you boot from it. It's handly and quick, but the options that a normal recovery CD has are absent.

It seems that this most likely occurred because you rebooted your computer. I'd guess that, if you don't reboot then your CD/DVD would continue to be recognized. If these assumptions are correct, then I'd suspect that something was loading when you reboot and is rewriting the upper and lower filter values.

As such, I'd suggest you use this free program ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx ) to see what's loading at startup that may be affecting your CD/DVD burner. Disable (don't delete) the suspected items, reboot, delete the upper filter per the instructions you got, then reboot and see if the setting holds (see if you can see your drive). If it works, then one of the things that you disabled is what's causing the problem.

You can repeat this process on each individual item (one-by-one) to isolate the exact culprit. Once we know that we may be able to offer suggestions on how to repair it (most likely removing the program and installing the latest, Vista compatible version).

Edited by usasma, 02 September 2007 - 06:54 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 A+ Certified Tech

A+ Certified Tech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:10 AM

When you changed the registry entry, did you save the changes?

#5 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:52 AM

I agree with usasma in this one. Known issue since XP, Upper and Lower Filters seems like the issue here. I'm sure that will fix the issue

MicroSoft Support

I recommend to right click in My Computer in the Registry Editor and choose "Export" to make a backup before doing anything though.

Mav

#6 papa56k

papa56k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:55 PM

Deleting the upper filter in the registry works. For how long I don't know. But it is an easy fix if it happens again. Toshiba seems to think that a third party program was the culprit. By the way, how do you save the registry settings. I didn't see that choice?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

I would agree that a 3rd part program is probably resetting the registry entry - and I'd remove all CD/DVD type software (one-at-a-time) to see which is the culprit.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users